Changed fairings again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changed fairings again

I know I just put painted and put on the Maier not too long ago, and I really liked the looks of it, but the fact that I haven't really been impressed with the wind protection, coupled with seeing TCK's Rooster fairing up for sale, I decided to buy it and give it a try. My initial reaction to the Rooster fairing is that I like it. I think it's just the right size, and offers plenty of wind protection. Took some doing to get it mounted just right, but in order to get it mounted so it looks like it's sitting correctly, the top of the headlight opening has to be about 3-4 inches higher than the headlight bucket, which creates a lot of open space in there. Doesn't seen to have any effect on wind protection, but it just looks funny from the front. I'm currently trying to figure a way to fill in that opening with some 1/8" thick flexible black plastic and almost have it figured out. All in all, I'm happy with it and will get pictures up as soon as I'm completely satisfied with it. It feels good sitting behind it though and doesn't seem to lessen the power output of the bike any at all. For those that may feel the tendency to ask about the Maier, it's already spoken for. Sorry.
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Dang... I wanted the Maier .

But where are the pictures of your new fairing?

Comment

Yep and I cant wait to get the Maier mounted onto the 850.
      I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
      1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

Originally posted by kparkfan View Post
        Yep and I cant wait to get the Maier mounted onto the 850.
        You.... . lol

Remember to post pictures!

Comment

Originally posted by Flaming Chainsaws View Post
          You.... . lol

Remember to post pictures!
          Oh I will. Going to try and find a paint that closely matches the color of my bike first.
          I didnt do it I swear !!

1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

Originally posted by kparkfan View Post
            Oh I will. Going to try and find a paint that closely matches the color of my bike first.
            Repainting this Maier may be a bit of a pita because I clearcoated over the pinstriping. So, you'll probably have to sand down the clearcoat enough to be able to peel off the stripes. Sorry. The clearcoat's not that thick though. Just got the opening around the headlight filled in last night and it came out pretty good if I do say so myself. Pics soon.
            Current Bikes:

Comment

Rooster Fairing pics as promised

Finally got some pics uploaded. Not as sporty looking as the Maier, but I like it more because of the much better wind protection coupled with some nice unexpected storage space inside. I also have a little dashboard I can throw my wallet or cell phone in. It really stays there. Tried it today on the highway. Anyway, here's some pics:

Current Bikes:

Comment

Looks great, and is more functional I bet that the Maier...

It would look killer painted with the same red/black scheme as your bags & trunk.

Nice score!

mike
                '85 GS550L - SOLD
                '85 GS550E - SOLD
                '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                '81 GS750L - SOLD
                '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
                  Looks great, and is more functional I bet that the Maier...

It would look killer painted with the same red/black scheme as your bags & trunk.

Nice score!

mike
                  Debating about it. The paint is in such good shape on the fairing, I've been wishing I hadn't painted the luggage and left them black.
                  Current Bikes:

Comment

Looks good man. Cant wait to get the Maier this friday.
                    I didnt do it I swear !!

1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

Great looking bike. I love that fairing and I`m not really a fairing guy. Not to hijack but what type of backrest is that and is it one peice with the trunk?
                      sigpic1981 gs1000G Black
                      1969 Honda Dream Apart and someday will be painted!

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.

Comment

Originally posted by michaelj_444 View Post
                        Great looking bike. I love that fairing and I`m not really a fairing guy. Not to hijack but what type of backrest is that and is it one peice with the trunk?
                        Thanks. The backrest is a KG backrest, but is not part of the trunk. It is all by itself and mounts to the sides of the luggage rack. The whole setup, side bags, trunk, luggage rack and backrest is KG.
                        Current Bikes:

Comment

Working...
                        X