Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handle Bar for GS450GA

Hi,

So, my son borrowed my 1983 GS450GA and dumped it. Fortunately, he is not seriously hurt, but the bike needs fixing. The handle bar is bent, and I am looking for a replacement. I can by an OEM from SHS PowerSports or from a local Suzuki dealer; however, I am also looking at other possibilities.

Where I am confused is the measurement for the center. The flat part is about 5+ inches, depending on where I measure it, and the mounts are 4.75 inches. So, when I am looking at a replacement, what is the right measurement.

Also, any advice on the various styles, such as Daytona and European? I am not familiar with these terms. I like bars that are relatively flat and not bent back much. That is, I like not to bend my wrist.

Thanks.

I replaced the rusted stock bars on my '81 450e recently with a set of bikemaster drag bars. They are pretty flat, inexpensive, and I think they improved the overall handling and look of the bike. Found here.

One thing I would like to note... the straight flat drag bars transmit more vibration to my hands than the curved stock bars. I think I'm going to get some gel grips soon to make up the difference.

After:

Comment

Herostar,

Thanks for the suggestion. This last weekend, my son found this motorcycle savage store, rather funky but very interesting. We tried out a number of old and new ones. The main concern was clearing the gas tank, and we were able to find one that was to our liking and installed it.

After replacing the front right foot peg, the rear brake lever, the right mirror, and the handlebar, plus piecing back together the instrument cluster, the bike is up and running.

Unfortunately, the used right exhaust pipe from a GS450L did not fit (oil pan in the way of the cross pipe), so running with a slightly dented pipe. Will be on the lookout for a GS450GA replacement, which is different than other 450s because of the oil system for the torque converter.

P.S., nice looking bike.

Comment

Herostar: what's up with that seat? I like it, stock or ...?

Comment

Yep totally stock except the handle bars.

Here's a side view for future reference of the height of drag bars on a 450. They just clear the tank by 1" at full lock.

Comment

Working...
          X