Correct way to mount saddle bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct way to mount saddle bags

I have a set of nylon saddle bags that I use on my actual saddle when I'm riding my horse. I'd like to use them on the bike for the next couple of weeks so I can still take my lunch to work but let the eldest ride home with me. Since I currently use a backpack, I don't see her having any room and my tank bag is kinda full right now with my other stuff I have to carry.

If I try to put these on, I know the bags will probably lay up against the rear shocks. However, is there anything else I must do to secure them? Looking through the archives I didn't find any concrete answers to folks that will save me the trouble of building brackets (can't afford to right now this week). If I have to build something than I can do that after I return from Ohio.

Thanks.

Here are the bags I'm talking about

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Is there anything in the bags to stiffen them up?

They will likely rest against the shocks, but if they are still flexible, they may actually wrap around the shocks, especially when empty or lightly-loaded.

On my wife's bike, there are leather saddlebags that stay there all the time.
    Because we don't remove them, I shortened their supports to allow them to go UNDER the seat and rest on the fender.
    To keep them from sliding around, they are zip-tied to the seat latch.

I have re-located the turn signals to the license plate mount, so the bags sit back far enough, they are no longer supported by the shocks.

I made some supports from some 1" x 1/8" flat stock and some 5/16" rod that will keep the bags away from the tire.

I put a lower bend on the supports to keep the bags off the pipes, too.

Again, this will work better if the bags don't flop around, so your mounts will vary.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you Steve.

I'll have a look see about that after I get ready for Cheyenne's birthday party. Turns ten today.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        ... Cheyenne's birthday party. Turns ten today.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My bags have about 4 straps.

1 large strap that goes Under the seat.
          1 large strap that goes Over the seat.
          2 or 3 smaller straps that secure it from the Front, Back.

Mine still sag a little bit when I load 'em up heavy...but mine aren't able to get caught in the shocks, the way they are designed.

Comment

Thank you all for the advice but the ones I use on my horse will not work on the bike. They are just too long and I don't have available parts or money left from this payday to do anything about fixing something up. I'll continue to use my tank bag and the pocket on the back of my reflective vest until I head to Ohio.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Very nice , Steve. I am looking for bags and a solution to keep the bags out of the tires but did not think about the turn signals. Doh!

Comment

Working...
              X