Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS550mz Katana transformed to GS550 bobber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550mz Katana transformed to GS550 bobber?

I have an 82 gs550mz katana. had it for about a week. Ive never owned a bike before. Story is, the bike belonged to my neighbor who bought it as a parts bike for his original owner 82 550mz he bought from the dealer a few miles away. the bike is very neglected but is complete. Im not really into the sportbike look, but more into the chopper/bobber look. Now, if I cut the frame, its going to be after the shock mounts so it would remain a softtail so i can mount a single short seat pan. everything else will stay the same on the frame as far as i know. I would like to put a regular gs550 tank on it and fabricate my own seat and exhaust pipes plus give the front end a slight drop if possible. what are your guys thoughts on this? here are a few pictures of the bike as it sits now. also, will a regular gs550 tank from around the same year mount on my katana frame or are the frames different?

few pictures

Comment

another with my son

Comment

Don't. It'd be a shame to butcher that bike.
        The Three Horsemen
        '85 GS1150ES (Current Income Eater)
        '83 GS1100ES
        ‘77 XLCR

"Never ride faster than you can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes."
        Porkchop Express

Comment

yea was thinking if im going to do it i should just get a different bike, not this katana since its a valuable bike and in decent enough shape

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun23a11en View Post
            yea was thinking if im going to do it i should just get a different bike, not this katana since its a valuable bike and in decent enough shape
            The "baby kats" are not as valuable, chop it. El G.

Comment

Personally, I would not chop it up. Your first bike? Fix it up and ride it. Then when you feel comfortable, sell it and get the bike that is better suited for a bobber build. How about an L model?

Comment

i'm all about cutting up bikes and creating unique custom monstrosities... the world needs a little more variety... but im going to have to agree with flaming chainsaws on this one...

fix up that bike, properly abuse it, learn more about working on bikes, and then later on down the road get a bike better suited for a bobber build.

Nice bike though!

~Nate

Comment

Yep, Katanas are hard to come by around my way - even if the little ones aren't as valuable. That one could be very pricey to restore to pristine appearance though. The tank doesn't look so bad (haven't seen the inside, but that's the easier part to take care of), though the side covers are missing and the seat is in rough shape. That's some of the more expensive stuff there. How's the exhaust?

Comment

No bike that nice should get a hatchet job.

Comment

if you chop it, I want the seat. Always liked it better than the gs550e seat
                      1984 GS550ES
                      Rebuild in progress....

1983 GS750ES
                      4700 miles

1978 GS1000E...Resto-mod to come

Comment

OPH what part of socal are you in?

Comment

The exhaust is in very nice shape as are the guages. Tank has surface rust on top and no dents. Cant see inside I havnt got the cap off its locked. I think im going to just cut right past the shock mounts and leave it a soft tail but change the seat and tank out. probably put shorter rear shock on and different bars. Plus 4 k/n air filters and a different paint scheme. if im going to ride it it has to be what I want. Looks and performace. dont plan on selling it

Comment

part it out and buy a rat bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun23a11en View Post
                              Tank has surface rust on top and no dents. Cant see inside I havnt got the cap off its locked.
                              This thread might be helpful to you then:

I highly suggest, if you're going to put pods on it, that you get it running well first.

Comment

Working...
                              X