Need a luggage rack for '80 GS850GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a luggage rack for '80 GS850GL

Anybody know where I can find a luggage rack? They seem as hard to find as replacement seats.

I have a set of 1100GK bag racks and rear carrier that I pulled off my 1100G. It would probably work OK on a 850G, (with some modifications) but I don't know if it would fit an L model.

The bag mounts are an integral part of the unit, so if you only want a rear carrier, this won't do it.

And it came to me with a scuffed lower right side....the balance is OK.

I have a couple more carriers, one universal and one off a GS450. Cannot comment on the fit of either, except to say they were too low for my 1100G, so I never used them.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Fitting a luggage rack on GS850GL

I have a rack that was on a GS1100, but it doesn't fit the GS850GL. Its just a bit too long, so the mounting points don't work. Same thing happened with a GS1100 seat. Everyone says the frames are the same, but so far I haven't found that to be true.

How universal is the other rack?

Comment

I never tried it on the bike. the problem was the height....it was below seat level, so it could not be used.

Thinking about it now, the rear section on an L model seat may be higher that a G, so it would not likely work there either.

I think the seat mounts on 82 G 850 and G 1100 are the same, but the older 850 seats were a bit shorter and had different mounts. They were also slightly different in size. I bought a Saddlemen touring seat (double bucket), for a 1980 850G and it is on my 82 1100G. My old pan was too badly rusted to use I bought a used 1100E pan, cut it apart, added a section and welded the parts together to make it fit, then put the Saddlemen seat on the new pan.

The seat itself works well, but it sits just a bit back from the tank.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
        X