wire wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wire wheels

Quite a while back I had decided to change my wheels from the original cast ally to spoked. I am looking for a pair of rims and I've tried everywhere here in UK with no luck for the sizes I need.
    The size I'm looking for front is: 2.15 X 16"
    and the rear : 2.50 X 17"
    Both 36 hole
    My first choice is a stainless rim but if I must then aluminium will be ok.
    Does anybody in the US know if these sizes are available and could they help me find them.
    I would be very grateful for any help.
    Many thanks
    sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

I'm not sure if you will find a 16" front spoke rim anywhere.

Comment

If these boys can't help......

79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I've tried CWS and spoken direct to Devon wheel co, no luck as FC says 16" is really an odd one apparently.
        I did however spot the other day a Suzi Marauder had a 16" front wheel with the same size tyre but the rim profile's completly wrong for my bike.
        It took months and months to find the hubs and finally had to settle for a new GT750 front hub.
        sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

what is the bike you're putting it on?

Comment

Originally posted by sparki View Post
            what is the bike you're putting it on?

This one, Modified 1000s. It has GS1100/750efe wheels. 16" front 17" rear
            I've combed the net and a 16" is looking out, even if I go up an inch for the front 17" doesn't seem to come in the right width.
            sigpic

Comment

I have a 19" and drilled rotors that came off of that very bike but,
              you are looking for a 16"?

Daniel

Comment

Yes after 16"
                sigpic

Comment

Silly question but 18" won't squeeze in there will it? Plenty of them around (as you'll know). Plus I suppose you have already spoken to Hagon.
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Apparently the 16" size does exist but it's maybe too narrow for you?
                    Look at page 83 of the following catalog: http://www.seurat3.fr/
                    sigpicJohn Kat
                    My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
                    GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

That catalogue has 17" at the right width by Morad. Decent rims.
                      79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                        Silly question but 18" won't squeeze in there will it? Plenty of them around (as you'll know). Plus I suppose you have already spoken to Hagon.
                        Yes 18" will go but then the size is creeping up, but looking at the link John Kat has there might be a possibility'v 17".
                        Good call JK thanks.
                        sigpic

Comment

17 will slow the steering a little but that aint a bad thing in the case of 16in wheels.... the space at the moment looks like it'll easily take a 17 or 18in wheels too. there's gotta be a decent choice of 17's out there. while you're at it it'd look to get a wider rear rim too.... no sense in sticking to the stock widths if they're getting rebuilt anyway is there?

Comment

Originally posted by sparki View Post
                            17 will slow the steering a little but that aint a bad thing in the case of 16in wheels.... the space at the moment looks like it'll easily take a 17 or 18in wheels too. there's gotta be a decent choice of 17's out there. while you're at it it'd look to get a wider rear rim too.... no sense in sticking to the stock widths if they're getting rebuilt anyway is there?

I don't want to go wider on the tyres but the rims will be increased to 3.50 X 17 rear and 2.50 X 17 front
                            I've sent the wheels to Birmingham as they do the Morad ally rim in the sizes.
                            Thanks for the suggestions.
                            sigpic

Comment

Harley rims. You can fins rears 36 spoked. 17". Wider too so you could increase track. One of these days, when I get around to starting a new cafe I'm gonna go that route. Lace Harley rims with GS or maybe even some custom hubs (I can convince David to turn some out for me), USD forks, Alu swinger... GS1000 lump. Modern brakes.... Mmmmmm.

Comment

Working...
                              X