No announcement yet.

wire wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

36 holers are a real beast to find. I found 21" for my bobber with a 16"x2.50 rear. You can find the rare 2.15 in 16 but its gonna be even harder than my 21" You may wanna try going 40 spoke. Bucahann has them and Ebay may have a few from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by El Giablo View Post
      Why not have a set of GS hubs, built instead? El G.
      What does it cost to build a 17x5.5 on GS hubs?
      Last edited by Guest; 11-08-2011, 09:32 PM.

Comment

I added some wires to my kat a few years ago.
        5.0 rear 18in running a 170 tyre and 3.5 front 17in running a 120.

The hubbs are GS750 hubs with a GSXR1100 sproket carrier and it all just bolted togeather using the same spacers etc. Had to bend the torque arm for the rear brake and use an off set front sproket. Still running 630 chain.

Had to remove the mudgaured braket inside the front guard and add one to the forks. Standard forks with the front brake upgrade as found on this site.

Comment

That is beautiful, Duke.
          Akront, Excel rims?
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by 8up View Post
            What are the hubs off of? do they fit with original spacers or was there modification needed? Is the front hub a dual disk?
            The bike looks much better with spoke wheels... hints why I am so interested...lol
            The rear hub is GS750 and looks like it might need a couple of spacers turning up judging by the quick look I had before I sent them back, no biggy.
            The front is GT750 and fits straight in, I couldn't find a GS front hub and this came up nos, exactly the same.
            Dual disk, everything lined up perfectly. The original EFE wheel was 9mm wider on the hub so I had to skim 4.5 off spacers and hub each side to make it fit.

I'm interested in Dukes job, it looks perfect I will have a look round for a GSXR sprocket carrier and see if that is a better option.
            Is there any chance of a picture of the brake torque arm and how that was bent please?
            sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Hi Duke, great job on the wire wheels for your Kat! Glad to see another NZ Kat pic on GSR and one with some serious mods to keep the others honest, cheers.
              Badgezz, we don need noh stinkin' badgezz!
              Shin-Ken 1074
              1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
              1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Originally posted by Duke View Post
                I added some wires to my kat a few years ago.
                5.0 rear 18in running a 170 tyre and 3.5 front 17in running a 120.

The hubbs are GS750 hubs with a GSXR1100 sproket carrier and it all just bolted togeather using the same spacers etc. Had to bend the torque arm for the rear brake and use an off set front sproket. Still running 630 chain.

Had to remove the mudgaured braket inside the front guard and add one to the forks. Standard forks with the front brake upgrade as found on this site.

Beautiful bike!
                When you say offset front sprocket, how did you achieve that? I'm asking because the tyre is going to be really close to the chain.
                I have already got the wheel sprocket carrier.
                sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

I got the wheels back today, no less dissapointed though, the front wheel had not been touched and the rear had been rebuilt fitted with a replacement rim, the spokes were a better fit with only three of them likely to poke through the tube but at least they were of a uniform better length. However they did not blast and powder coat the hub as agreed and paid for. I'm only home for five days and I've lost two of them waiting and trying to get the problems corrected. I'm completely pi$$ed off.
                  I dropped the wheels round to a local bike shop and he said he could true them up ok.
                  I phoned up and complained about it and they suggested returning the back wheel to get it redone. I told them I've had enough and will be getting the job corrected elsewhere as I can't keep wasting time. They suggested I might send an email detailing my complaints to them.
                  If I did my job as poorley as this I wouldn't have one.
                  More weeks will pass before I'm done with this. (Why do I do it?)
                  Last edited by tatu; 12-17-2011, 05:43 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

That's pants. I've never used Central but I thought they had a good reputation. Wheel building is easy if you know what you're doing and they should do and what's the excuse for not sorting the hub and not trimming off those spokes? Sounds like seriously PPP to me.
                    79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer
                    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Yup, PPP! that'd be it.
                      sigpic

Comment

At last! a bit of positive progress, My wheels are back and will get no better so I'm going with them anyway, I fitted the front tyre and the wheel is back in the forks and I have to say looks ok. I will take a picture tomorrow.
                        The rear wheel is going to need a bit more effort I was going to put a 140/80/17 but as I'm going for it I've decided to go 150/70/17.
                        The chain will have to be moved. I found these on ebay.

The one on the left is the stock sprocket with the teeth removed as I was going to make my own, the middle has an offset of 6mm and the right is 3/8 (10mm). These came from the US and are a nice quality.

I will pull the back wheel tomorrow and see what I have.
                        sigpic

Comment

Here is a picture'v the completed front. The tyre is a 110/80/17, it might be possible to go to a 120 but not on this 2.50 rim.

sigpic

Comment

Today I got the tyre onto the rim and mocked up the fitting of the wheel with a bit of measuring, and my conclussion is that it's going to be a lot easier than I thought and I'm pretty sure I will not need to use those offset sprockets on this.
                            I will have to kink the brake torque arm and make up spacers.
                            The 150 tyre fits into the gap very well, there is still a way to go till its up tight.

Can anybody tell me at what point the gap between the tyre and chain becomes too small? The reason I'm asking is because while the chain run looks fine, the rear wheel has not been centered in relation to the front wheel so this picture might change a bit. Worst case will be 9mm
                            sigpic

Comment

When I ran the 170 in my 750ES the gap I had between tyre & chain was 4mm from memory. Never had any issues with it rubbing.

I am currently looking at fitting a 150 using a GS1150 wheel. I think you are going to end up with a bit less than 9mm if my initial findings are correct.

Is that an Avon AM26 on the rear too?

Where are you in Kent? I grew up right on the borders of Sidcup/Kent

Dan
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                                When I ran the 170 in my 750ES the gap I had between tyre & chain was 4mm from memory. Never had any issues with it rubbing.

I am currently looking at fitting a 150 using a GS1150 wheel. I think you are going to end up with a bit less than 9mm if my initial findings are correct.

Is that an Avon AM26 on the rear too?

Where are you in Kent? I grew up right on the borders of Sidcup/Kent

Dan
                                Dan you're right, it is going to be about 6mm. there is a total of 8mm spacing difference between the ally wheel and wire wheel and from what I can measure the whole lot can bolt straight in with just one new spacer made up on the outside of the brake hanger. At most there will be an will be an error of 1mm, (Still to be finalised)
                                There is 2mm clearance on the brake torque arm, closer than I'd like and I will change it.

Yes they're AM26 Road Riders.

I'm down near Canterbury, Sidcup is near St Mary Cray? I used to work for a company that had their head office in Bromley.
                                I'm following your 1100 wheel thread with interest.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X