No announcement yet.

wire wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This mod was finished a couple of days ago and I got a chance to take it out today and here it is. The thing that has pleased me the most is the annoying 'S' speed weave has gone even when I managed to tune it out it was always potentially there waiting to break through. Well its gone completely! I couldn't chuck it about on the twisty bits round our way because the roads felt damp and slippy so I made do with what I could.
    Anyway, here are a couple'v finished pictures.

This thread started as an appearance mod but kind'v became a project so seems in the wrong place now. Sorry for that.
    sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

My congratulations to you!
      The bike looks beautifull
      I had that same weave on my GS 1000 S and after changing everything, I discovered that the Tarozzi fork tubes I was using created some stiction.
      I changed the tubes back to OEM and the weave disappeared.
      The bias ply tires must play a role also I'm sure
      What fork tubes are you using?
      I will most probably put wire wheels on my Kat but I haven't decided on the sizes yet...
      sigpicJohn Kat
      My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
      GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Thanks for the compliment,
        I've owned four S'es and they've all had the weaving at various times and speeds not always consistently and no matter what I did, I've tried everything over the years. Usually it is just an annoying weave that changes all by itself no matter what you do, but you know it is always there. It has completely gone now.

I'm using Katana tubes on this bike to compensate for the smaller wheel. I have only ever used oem stuff. (When I've got nothing better to do maybe I'll drop the tubes through the yolks and see if the weave comes back, because that has changed by 1/2 an inch).
        There is 6mm clearance on the chain side and 2mm on the brake torque arm, I will change that later.
        sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

My weave would only occur in medium to fast bends mostly when I would cut the throttle.
          I detailed the issue in this thread:http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...highlight=1000.
          Following that, I built a GS 1000 XP with GSXR 1100 suspension, wheels and brakes.
          One of the most fun bikes I've ever ridden
          The only issue is that having changed all these components simultaneously, I don't know what really made the difference in roadholding?
          sigpicJohn Kat
          My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,

Comment

I remember reading some of that post a while back. I know the weave problem has always been an 'S' issue, sometimes worse than others, I will ride the bike more and see how it goes.
            Just to mention that on my first 'S I had, in '81, on the way home it developed a weave which I tried to accelerate through that turned into a violent tank slapper that tried to shake me off it was very scarey.
            This bike has not been bad but it has always been there under the surface ready to start (probably when I would least want it to!)
            This is rock solid now.
            sigpic

Comment

What's for sure is that if you remove the quarter fairing the weave disappears.
              But you are right, with the fairing on the bike you can feel that the hidden beast wants to bite you...
              sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Looking good mate.

Yes not far from St Mary Cray/Bromley.
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Your bike turned out great, Tatu.
                  I really do like the look of spokes.
                  Are you tall? The bars and mirrors are significantly higher looking than stock.
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                    Your bike turned out great, Tatu.
                    I really do like the look of spokes.
                    Are you tall? The bars and mirrors are significantly higher looking than stock.
                    Thanks, I'm happy with how its turned out.
                    No, I'm average, The bars are from an SP370 and have been the only bars I've ever had on these bikes right from my first one.
                    And that pesky high speed weave is back, honestly it just comes and goes all by itself.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
                      And that pesky high speed weave is back, honestly it just comes and goes all by itself.
                      Tatu,does your bike have a fork bracing device?
                      Take it off and see what happens.
                      IMO the problem is enhanced by the quarter fairing but the issue is really in suspension stiction.
                      It can be from the front but also from the rear as I learned by taking my old Konis off the bike...
                      My weave used to come more in downhill curves as you released the throttle.
                      Today, I can chop the throttle without any issue even in fast downhill corners
                      sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

The weave is something that really has a mind of its own, I went out for a good long ride out today and it was firm and completely stable not a twitch all day.
                        There was a chap at the IOM TT that advised a steering damper and dropping the tubes an inch through the yolks. and that definatly helped, its just that steering dampers tend to mask problems and I would rather be doing something about a potential handling issue at the lower speeds where it belongs not at high speed when it becomes much more of an issue.
                        Yes there is a brace, I'll try taking it off and see what happens.
                        I do know that if I tuck in behind the fairing it does set it off/ get worse.
                        You're right it is the fairing.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
                          You're right it is the fairing.
                          Well the fairing just triggers the weave but the root cause lies deeper.
                          I'm like you and don't like the idea of hiding the issue with a steering damper.
                          Tell me what happens without the fork brace.
                          BTW have you adjusted your shock absorbers like Ohlins recommends?
                          It's very important to get enough static sag so that you use the full range of the dampers and never hit the stops...
                          sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Tatu, that is really a nice looking bike, those wires just work so well with it, good choice, it really is a head turner.

Now please excuse my ignorance but I don't understand this whole fairing and weave thing.
                            The feeling seems to be that he "S" fairing causes a high speed weave and it seems that most agree to some degree or another.
                            I highly doubt Suzuki would have put a bike out for production until such an unsafe quirk had been rectifed, I find it hard to believe that a bike would roll off the showroom floor with such a quirk.
                            Secondly if the fairing was designed foor the S then it should work on the S, if not great on any of the other models, although the 2 valve liter bikes are so similar I doubt there is much in it.
                            Thirdly, my 1000G ha spent a great part of it's life adorned with an S fairing and I have never, in hundreds of thousands of Km ever experienced this wobble or weave, at any speed, and I have spent hours at WOT, tucked in or prone, she has always been rock steady.
                            Can someone with more knowledege than I in these machines please explain this phenomenon, as I have never experienced it, I will not easily be convinced it is the fairing at all, there has to be an underlying fault with the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
                              have you adjusted your shock absorbers like Ohlins recommends?
                              It's very important to get enough static sag so that you use the full range of the dampers and never hit the stops...

Yes is the short answer, the Ohlins took me a while to dial in. I think I might try the stock shocks later as the weave is the same no matter how expensive the shocks.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                                Tatu, that is really a nice looking bike, those wires just work so well with it, good choice, it really is a head turner.

Now please excuse my ignorance but I don't understand this whole fairing and weave thing.
                                The feeling seems to be that he "S" fairing causes a high speed weave and it seems that most agree to some degree or another.
                                I highly doubt Suzuki would have put a bike out for production until such an unsafe quirk had been rectifed, I find it hard to believe that a bike would roll off the showroom floor with such a quirk.
                                Secondly if the fairing was designed foor the S then it should work on the S, if not great on any of the other models, although the 2 valve liter bikes are so similar I doubt there is much in it.
                                Thirdly, my 1000G ha spent a great part of it's life adorned with an S fairing and I have never, in hundreds of thousands of Km ever experienced this wobble or weave, at any speed, and I have spent hours at WOT, tucked in or prone, she has always been rock steady.
                                Can someone with more knowledege than I in these machines please explain this phenomenon, as I have never experienced it, I will not easily be convinced it is the fairing at all, there has to be an underlying fault with the bike.
                                Thanks, It definatley turns heads.

I have owned four'v these S'es and they have all had this to some degree, when I picked up my first S' the weave started gently enough and as I tried to accelerate through it it got so bad it was trying to shake me off, braking made it worse.
                                Interesting that your bike has not had the problem dressed as an S', none of the bikes I road tested had this either, but its not that bad and I've resigned myself to the fact that is what S'es do as most times it isn't there.
                                I was out most'v theday today and it was solid not a single twitch, and I'm always flat chat on the open bits.
                                What I can't get my head around is it isn't consistant.
                                All my S'es have been the genuine thing.
                                The best way to describe it is it is more of a side to side rock and it starts from the front getting worse on the bends. I had been told by someone at Suzuki GB that the 1000 had a batch of swing arms that were distorted and that they were onto the problem. But all that was years ago.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X