Keeping my exhaust shiny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping my exhaust shiny

Hey all, I have a 79 GS750, just picked up the bike after selling my previous 1000's. On both my 1000's the exhaust was dinged and already had rust, so I did not really care about them (to me they were just spark makers in the turns ) However the 750 I have now has near perfect exhaust, and I would like to keep it that way, what is the best way to keep the pipes shiny and also prevent rust. Is there some sort of wax like for paint?

Just use any good brand of chrome polish and keep the bike inside!! The weather will tarnish chrome quick ... I use the chrome polish made by Turtle Wax on all my chrome pieces and am really happy with the results. 8)

Comment

Hello
      Keep that chrome shineing by removing any road grime with 0000 stel wool followed by any good quality chrome polish. Follow that by applying a good quality car wax, paying special attention to the weld and pipe conection areas. The car wax prevets road gime build up. And when the bike gets wet while being wahed the water beads off quickly keeping down the chances of rust starting around the weld and connection areas.
      Good Luck, Archie

Comment

heat?

The higher heat will not affect these polishes and waxes?

Comment

I wouldn't use a polish unless you have some type of tarnish/rust on the pipes. Polish always has some type of "grit" compound to it in order to smooth (polish) the surface. Polish should be removed 100% before any next step.

Wax is a really good idea, especially when you store it for winter. An old trick is to coat it with a heavy application of wax, but don't buff it off, leave it on the chrome for protection (used this method on chrome wheels in the eastern Washington winters, that I drove everyday, kept the chrome from rusting until spring). Buff it off in the spring before your first ride.

My product of choice is Cotton Wadding, rub the chrome/aluminum until it shines, let it haze, wipe it off. Used by the military for years, still made by Eagle 1, and sold through NAPA.

Kenny

Comment

What about removing the blue and straw colour from aftermarket pipes headers?
            Kevin
            E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
            "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
            Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Originally posted by mcycle-nut
              What about removing the blue and straw colour from aftermarket pipes headers?
              See my topic: "Blue Away" in the products review section.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

The headers, the welds, and the mounting points are going to be your biggest problems. My bike has a half centimeter of salt on the pipes but when I whipe them off in a few months they won't have any rust on them, no preservatives either! I'm running a stock exhaust which seems to help but it has burst at the rear brackets despite the rest of the surface being great. The headers on the other hand aren't so great...they haven't turned to rust like the aftermarkets on my 1100 but they aren't polishable anymore either. Oh yeah, somebody here mentioned putting 5 coatings of high temp ceramic paint on the inside of the pipes before installing. This sounds like a great idea.

Steve

Comment

I like the Turtle Wax Chrome Polish too. Contains a bit of rust remover as well. Prefer it to Mother's Chrome Polish, and that's saying a lot.

Comment

Blue pipes

I just bought a product called Blue-Job and it works. My pipes were very blue and tarnished and with a little elbow grease they came out really nice. Almost all of the color was gone and they shine again.

Comment

Working...
                    X