Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resizing front fender?

Hi all,

I replaced the tires on my 1980 GS450L this season and I'm guessing I got one size too big. The front tire just barely rubs the front fender, so I took the fender off. I would like to put it back on and be able to ride in the rain w/o dirty road water spraying all up in my grill mix. Any general suggestions on how to make the fender slightly larger? Or are there other aftermarket fenders that might work here? Thanks for any suggestions, also I can grab the tire sizes in a little bit when I go move my bike (stupid NYC street sweeping/increase revenue scam)

can you not file the holes a little to move it away from the tyre?

Comment

...Or make a pair of little four-holed brackets to raise the fender a bit

Hey Ninja Im in Bushwick, we should race
      Last edited by Guest; 10-20-2011, 10:31 AM.

Comment

You must be way beyond what should be fitted. You can usually go up one size too big with no trouble. You're probably to the point where the profile of the tire is such that you have actually ended up with less contact patch when straight up leading to less braking force too. When you go too wide the sidewall gets pinched down and you end up with a triangular shape tire profile. It will be harder to initiate a turn and the bike will want to fall into corners when it does lean over. The best choice of tire sizes for these skinny rims is stock.
        Last edited by Guest; 10-20-2011, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Rather than re-size the fender, you should put on the proper tire.

The bike probably came stock with a 90/90-19, you should be able to run a 100/90-19 with no problems.

The 100-size tire also slows the speedo down just enough to make it close to accurate, too.

Anything larger will not only rub on the fender (as you have noticed), but will also slow down the steering, making the bike harder to handle.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

is the fender steel or plastic with a brace? if steel you can enlarge holes and just move it up, if plastic the same but you also have to modify the brace.

on the side note its good to see more local folks on the forum

Comment

Sounds like a proper sized tyre would be the ideal way to go for sure, but if you still need to raise it this is what I did:

Bent a brace of sorts out of some aluminium to mount a shortened dirtbike guard to.

It remains to be seen if I need a second layer of alu. to stiffen the brace up but you get the idea...
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I thought I performed my due diligence selecting my tires before buying them. I have 100/90 19" up front and 120/90 16" on the rear. This is a 1980 GS450L. Is the front too big? The ride is fine, braking is fine as well. If it is too big then I'll be replacing it next season... anyone need a 100/90 16" with a few hundred miles on it?

Comment

That 100/90 should be ok since your wheel is 1.85" wide. Is your fender damaged or anything? Pics of the fender mounted would be a big help.

Comment

450 needs a 3.6 tyre if i recall.... which is a 90... so ya needed a 90/90-19

Comment

One size up should be fine. Could be the mount is damaged in some way.

Comment

should be yeah... but in this place. take nothin' for granted

Comment

450E Scrambler? Sweet!

Comment

Originally posted by Smurf View Post
                            450E Scrambler? Sweet!
                            If you mean mine... yeah it's getting there
                            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                            X