1980 GS1000 switch control pics please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS1000 switch control pics please

I'm gonna attempt to make decals made for faded-out RH/LH switch controls and ignition key cover graphics for a 1980 GS1000 (S). (LH switch is the self-canceling type). If someone has switch controls with nice intact graphics, I need some good, close-up, straight-on photos of these items (similar to ones below) emailed to fz2000@austin.rr.com

Thanks in advance.
    -- and, if anyone has a better way of restoring these graphics, please lemme know!--

Last edited by Frank Z.; 11-15-2011, 05:51 PM.
    '80 GS1000ST
    '92 ZX-11
    Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Here are some photos of the switches

Comment

I need to find one of those ignition caps!

Comment

PERFECT!!! Thx Vmass.
        Just need ignition cover pic then good to go!
        '80 GS1000ST
        '92 ZX-11

Comment

Control graphics ready...

Graphics for control switches ready. Making sure font and spacing is close as possible to stock before decals are printed. Gonna try a couple methods using matte finish vinyl and foil substrate.

'80 GS1000ST
          '92 ZX-11

Comment

Hey Frank..I could use 6 of the ignition cover decals..one for each bike please...
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Interesting project. My 850 is so faded I didn't know I had auto-cancel signals until Steve told me. I thought there was something wrong with the switch.
              Dogma
              --
              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Nice work..Frank!

Comment

Nice work, Frank, how much for a set?

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                    Hey Frank..I could use 6 of the ignition cover decals..one for each bike please...
                    Need to do some materials testing, then I'll print-up some extras. Looking at thinnest weatherproof substrate possible. Also gonna talk to a friend who has dye-sublimation printer to see if I can impress straight to control housings... we'll see. Wish Suzuki would have debossed these areas... then it would be a matter of just filling with white paint.
                    '80 GS1000ST
                    '92 ZX-11

Comment

Maybe make a jig into which you can clamp the housing and deboss them, then fill them with paint?

Would be nice to use a Dremel with a small burr like they do in larger scale making those signs on office doors.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Nice work, Frank, how much for a set?

Shouldn't break the bank, Steve. After I figure out the material issue, I then have to decide how to gang the decals; thinking 2 decals on each control... HORN + AUTO TURN/LIGHTS, and ENGINE STOP/OFF/RUN + START. Or, I may have all graphics on one decal that lays over each control. Do you know if the LH multi-switch knob comes off easy enough?
                        '80 GS1000ST
                        '92 ZX-11

Comment

Also consider the adhesive..durability and washing resistant when the power washer hits them.
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Great job. If you ever come up with a way to do the 550 ones, let me know. I'd be interested.
                            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

definitely would love a set! terrylee

Comment

Working...
                              X