No announcement yet.

1980 GS1000 switch control pics please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey all decal buyers: In lieu of charging for this first hiccup —and being that it is the season of giving— if you want a set of decals, email me your mailing address at fz2000@austin.rr.com FREE for the taking.

I'm chalking this batch up to R&D, and don't feel right about charging anyone for these. Perhaps it was the ghost of Christmas past/present/future... but I've gots the spirit in me. Hopefully the next batch 'o stickers will be up to snuff.
    '80 GS1000ST
    '92 ZX-11
    [COLOR=#a9a9a9]Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R[/COLOR]

[URL]http://totalrider.com/[/URL]

Comment

^^^ +1 Big Karma on its way from the dark continent.

Comment

More Karma sent

email sent as well. SHINEY SIDE UP!

Mike
        Originally posted by Frank Z. View Post
        Hey all decal buyers: In lieu of charging for this first hiccup —and being that it is the season of giving— if you want a set of decals, email me your mailing address at fz2000@austin.rr.com FREE for the taking.

I'm chalking this batch up to R&D, and don't feel right about charging anyone for these. Perhaps it was the ghost of Christmas past/present/future... but I've gots the spirit in me. Hopefully the next batch 'o stickers will be up to snuff.
        [B][I][SIZE=3][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]1981 gs1000G Black[/SIZE][/I][/B]
        [B][I][SIZE=3]1969 Honda Dream Apart and someday will be painted![/SIZE][/I][/B]

[COLOR=black][I][U][COLOR=navy][SIZE=4]To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research. [/SIZE][/COLOR][/U][/I][/COLOR]

Comment

I am still in for the 5 or 6 ignition switch decals. You know where I live.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Very interesting idea, Ed. Wonder how one would go about securing the negative space within the letters... such as the triangle in the letter "A"? I suppose instead of a typical stencil setup, a reversed out transfer decal could be applied, painted, then removed. Will look into it!
            Transfer paper like used for the vinyl decals.It has a high enough tack to remove the mask but the mask's tack is higher making it possible to apply them to the part. Look for whats called paint mask. Its cut just like the decals on the same machine. Oracal has the bestin my opinion.

Comment

Email sent, and I insist on paying for them! I was planning on re-finishing the switch cases anyway, so I'll just match the gloss. Not doing a concours-level restoration by any means.

Comment

Man, I didn't know these would be that desired. I had Kparkfans wife run me off a few dozen of these a couple summers ago. Still have a bunch left over. Sorry guys, could have saved everyone the trouble.

Also a tip for inset lettering:

White finger-nail polish. Dab it in there real good, wait a couple seconds, then use a paper towel with acetone free polish remover to wipe off the excess. Look good as new.

Comment

White Testors enamel model paint works equally as well..and its paint.
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                    White Testors enamel model paint works equally as well..and its paint.
                    What do ya think nail polish is Chuck? It's enamel in most cases, and comes in a bazillion more shades than most places carry in Testors, plus it's generally cheaper. I was at the hobby store the other day, damn what they get away with charging for those little bottles anymore! They were like .25 back when I used to build models.

Comment

Btw Frank, I, or actually rose, found a great vinyl decal supplier. Does custom stuff cheap and all, plus it's all die cut, no backing, whatever colour, multi colour etc. She had them make me some "flying K" and Kawasaki name plate decals for Xmas, like less than $2 each for a run of less than ten. Very high quality work (I'll be ordering more plus I have a few other designs up my sleeve for you guys) if you'd like their info lemme know, I'd be happy to help out in your quest for creating the perfect replacements

Comment

Well Josh..since ive never used or had a use for the stuff I dont really know what it is...i know it doesnt last all that long on a fingernail..Ive not had many models shed model paint.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                          Well Josh..since ive never used or had a use for the stuff I dont really know what it is...i know it doesnt last all that long on a fingernail..Ive not had many models shed model paint.
                          Well, I only got the idea when rose had it out one day, I'd thought about actual paint but was worried I wouldn't be able to get it all off cleanly.
                          I've done a couple of em, so far they've held up well. And they, nor a model, get subjected to the abuse most women put their precious nails through. Hehe

Comment

When I did the ones on the skunk i had a Qtip with some purple power to wipe around any faint smearings...it worked out very well..but as you stated you gotta do the swipe and clean rather quickly so it doesnt take a set.

Comment

I used white One Shot pinstriping/sign paint I have left over from my not so good try at pinstriping.Both nail polish or model paint would do the same job though.

Comment

Alright folks who requested decals... check your PM's. I'm trying to answer requests in the order received, and it's first-come-first-served thing. I did receive some emails early on, have filled those orders, and will be in mail this week.

The bad: there was overwhelming interest in the first run of the decals, and to be fair as possible, I'll only be mailing out 1 decal set per request. Sorry, but I only ordered 20 sets on the test run... and 2 sets went to R&D on my bike. If I have any leftover sets, I'll pass them along to those who wanted multiples.

The good: After a bit of alteration on the decal template, I'll be ordering another run. These will be served up for GSR members for a small fee, and then on ebay for a LARGE fee. I should then have plenty to go around... in a couple weeks.

More good: With a bit of scuffing with fine sand paper, was able to knock the gloss off the laminate, and the decals blend right in! Will have instruction sheet via email to follow.

(not to shabby, eh?)

Also, a lot of folks requested just ignition decals. I'll get separate cards printed for these... maybe 4 per card. Doesn't make sense to cut off just the ignition decal from the complete set... but y'all knew this already.
                                Last edited by Frank Z.; 12-27-2011, 03:17 PM.
                                '80 GS1000ST
                                '92 ZX-11
                                [COLOR=#a9a9a9]Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R[/COLOR]

[URL]http://totalrider.com/[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                                X