Engine Appearance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Appearance

I am new to the GS world and I am restoring a 1982 GS750E. My question is how do I revive the shine on the engine. I am removing the covers on both sides and polishing and refinising them but how to I deal with dull crankcase, cylinders and heads?

I was thinking about using Eastwoods fast etch but I don't know if the cylinders are painted and if the acid will damage the paint or other finish for that matter. I am using engine cleaner to clean it off but I am not getting any shine out of that effort.

give it a really good degrease and scrub all the little areas with a brush to get as much off as you can, let the engine dry completely and respray it, its probably time for it, the only other thing that might work is mech oil but wouldnt last that long and the stuff stinks. I'm about to do it to my engine and mines pretty bad.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for input

Comment

The head and barrels are painted, from the factory, the crankcase is not.
        It will be very difficult to get that 30 year old paint to shine up like new again, the clear coat has dulled from all the heat cycles.
        The only way is to give it a good and thorough cleaning and degreasing and repaint with a good heat resitant paint, the folks on here like the VHT paints and have very good results with it.

Comment

Working...
        X