Luggage for my 550T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luggage for my 550T

One of the issues I had while transporting the eldest on the bike last year was an inability to carry my lunch box in my backpack since she needed the room for her and her backpack. Since I can't afford a better two up bike with luggage right now, I'm thinking of other ideas I can try.

With that in mind, would putting something like this on my bike after manufacturing some sort of a rack be okay?

If so, what should I consider before I start to build/find a rack? Especially since I haven't seen a rack for the 550T nor do I have the grab bar most T's have on them.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Bump, any thoughts?

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

I recently purchased the Moto Centric roll bag for my 750. I'm very pleased with it. It is padded and retains its shape when empty. I plan to purchase their saddle bags for touring.I currently use it on a very short rack, with the one additional bungee as it hangs a bit. Have even used it for a Costco run. It is, however designed to go over the seat or tail cowl, with both built in bungees and clips. I'm pretty sure you could get matching clips from your local outdoor sports shop. Link below. There is also a short video if you google Moto Centric. I will take some photos later today.
      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
      https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

That's a good price. The current model, E30, is $90 from Twisted Throttle (the Givi distributor) . You might call and ask either MS or TT if that "universal mounting kit" will work on your bike.

I have Givi side and top cases on my Blackbird and they are excellent luggage.

Comment

Thank you for the information, that is pretty comparable in price. Is there anything about the rack I need to consider when making it? Should the rack be steel or can I try to make it out of aluminum?

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

I would go steel for fatigue strength. Probably 5/8" to 3/4" tube.
            There are some cheap copies of these Givi's on EBay for about 30 bucks. One came on my KLR and I have to say it's pretty good for the money.
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thanks Dan. I finally had a chance to log into ebay last night (can't from work) and saw that. I'll start budgeting for it as it wasn't bad (shipping hurts though) for price and looked nice.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Working...
              X