Powder coating wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powder coating wheels

I'm thinking of having my mag alloys on my GS750E powdered coated, was wondering if anyone here has had that done? Oh and looking to powder coat my lowers on my forks.
    Last edited by mrbill5491; 12-12-2011, 02:16 PM. Reason: Needed to add one thing
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

I've had a few sets of wheel powder coated. It's tough and looks good - 1000s of colours to go for as well. Only downside is you need to remove the wheel bearings (though they're cheap enough).
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

good idea, just make sure the guy doing i knows about bikes!
      you will need new wheel bearings for sure and make sure they dont coat the section of the rim that the tire bead contacts
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

my rims have always had their bead area covered without any issues... can't remember how many set of rims i've had done. they don't lose any real pressure from what i can tell.

Comment

Removing the bearings is the only preparation you really need to do. You can use a bearing puller or knock them out with a hammer and a punch. They will more than likely be slightly damaged after you remove them so order a new set before you take them in. They are cheap $20-$25 for the set, I would replace the outer seal if it has one also at this time. As far as the fork stems they need to be comlpetely dis-assembled and all threaded taps need to be pluged with the original bolt or a scrap screw. Overall it is well worth the end result, I have had several sets done and they usually turn out fabulous.

Comment

Powder coating

Okay thanks for the info, the stuff about the bearings, seals etc, I knew about I r a mechanic lol. Just wanted some feed back. Thanks again.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
            X