Painting GS550 engine - primer needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting GS550 engine - primer needed?

You guessed it - another paint question!

I'm going to paint my GS550 engine (bottom end, cylinder, head, cover - everything but the side covers) with VHT high-temp case paint - black oxide SP903.

Places where this paint is sold state that no primer is needed, but on the can it suggests that primer can be used (and it gives a specific VHT suggestion of course). Various vintage websites seem split on whether or not to prime before painting an engine, and it's not clear whether or not folks using this type of paint are using primer.

Given that the cylinder and bottom of the engine are unpainted on the GS550, I'm thinking I should probably use primer first. Does this sound ok? Should I be concerned about overheating? (I know that paint is ok - I'm just concerned about how much more insulation the primer might provide).

Thanks!

I've always used primer. Helps the paint stick better, provides a uniform base for even color, and helps fill in minor imperfections in the underlying metal. Regardless, 95% of a paint job is proper prep so spend most of your time there.

Good luck and post up some before and after pics.
    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Don't paint if... the paint, the metal that you are painting or the temperature in the room, is below 60*.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by Sci85 View Post
        I've always used primer. Helps the paint stick better, provides a uniform base for even color, and helps fill in minor imperfections in the underlying metal. Regardless, 95% of a paint job is proper prep so spend most of your time there.

Good luck and post up some before and after pics.

Prep is key! Use a primer. That's what I did one my tank and side covers.

Comment

Working...
        X