GS550 tank "adjustment"? Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 tank "adjustment"? Opinions?

I've never really liked the "front-up" tank setup on my '79 GS550 .. reminds me too much of the GN models (which personally I dislike, but each to their own).

I'm attempting to make my GS550 look more like my GS750 and one of the quick fixes I think ill be to modify the tank to sit more level .. I can't do anything much about the longer (better looking GS750) tank .. but adjusting this and possibly modifying to use GS750 side covers might help?

Here's the original setup .. notice the tank it up at the front, down at the rear ..

Here's the tank with about 1.5" up at the rear to level it out .. I think it would be easy to reconfig the tank mounts for this. Opinions?

Originally posted by OzJavelin View Post
    Opinions?
    Ride faster.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by OzJavelin View Post
      .. I think it would be easy to reconfig the tank mounts for this. Opinions?
      Personally, I don't see enough change to warrant the effort, but it's not my bike and I won't be looking at it.

If your tank has a single bolt at the rear, it shouldn't take much to add some length to the tab on the tank.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Ride faster.
        That's the GS750s job ..

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

If your tank has a single bolt at the rear, it shouldn't take much to add some length to the tab on the tank.

Agreed. Easy fix.

Comment

Wont that effect the way the petcock picks up on an emptier tank? Would suck to need that last bit and not have it available.

Comment

I've run my 550 with the triple dropped 1.5" over the forks (you need clip-ons to do this), about the same change in the angle of the tank, with no evidence of fuel starvation.

I like the idea of lifting the rear of the tank a little - gives more room underneath for any additional relays or other wiring you might add under there, and may allow replacement of a broken throttle cable without removing the tank.

Comment

A very subtle difference but I like it and may do the same on my 78' 550E.
                Let me know how you do it.

Bruce.

Comment

Originally posted by brslk View Post
                  A very subtle difference but I like it and may do the same on my 78' 550E.
                  Let me know how you do it.

Bruce.
                  Note also that I've already straightened up the Suzuki badge on the tank .. It doesn't point down the the rear of the tank as usual.

Comment

Working...
                  X