Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Fender Switch?

Hi,

I am considering a front fender switch on my 78 GS750 EC.

Currently have the stock chrome and would like to get a black one.

Do the later model front fenders (80-83) fit without modification?

All thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

In my experience, any plastic fender can be made to fit. Often they will fit without major modifications and I've had some that bolt right up with no fiddling.

What I would do is take the stocker off and measure the hole spacing and trot off to your local bike wrecker with a tape measure. It has always worked for me.

If no bike wrecker close to you, put out a part wanted on here and any local forum or trader site. Someone will have something.

Cheers and good luck,
    Spyug

PS, If you tell me your bolt spacing I'll check my 83

Comment

My 1000 has an 850 fender so there is some interchange between models. The bigger bikes have 37mm forks though, whereas the 750 has 35mm so I'm not sure if the larger fork fenders will interchange with yours. Suzuki moved to a leading axle fork on the 2nd generation 750 and I doubt the fenders will swap with yours. The 3rd generation 750 has a 16" front wheel so I wouldn't bother to even check those. Maybe the 650 fender will fit?

Honestly, easiest thing to do would be to get your fender sandblasted and then paint it.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks!

Ed, you read my mind. Thanks again.

Bret

Comment

For what it's worth I have a 78 GS750 fender on my 79 GS1000 (it has 80 GS1000G straight leg forks).. I had to stretch it a bit for width but not a lot.

It shouldn't me much problem to go the other way.

The bolt spacing is the same.. Just the width changes.

I have a GS650 plastic fender on the shelf and it looks almost identical to the 2 GS1100 fenders I have.

If you go plastic be sure to get the metal brace that goes inside.

Comment

Thanks sschering!

I think I will look into the GS1000 fenders as they sometimes came painted.

Appreciate the suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by Bret View Post
              Thanks sschering!

I think I will look into the GS1000 fenders as they sometimes came painted.

Appreciate the suggestion.
              The 750 and 550 models were often interchangable. I have a black powdercoated front fender. Drop me a PM.

Paul

Comment

Paul,

PM sent.

Thanks.

Bret

Comment

I've used the leading-axle fenders on standard forks by re-drilling the mounting holes. Also, you can bend the steel fenders to match the width of your forks, if necessary.

Comment

I have a fender from my '79 GS 1000 (straight axle)that I replaced with a chrome one. It is rattle-can black with a gloss clear coat. Don't look too bad. But of course you could powder coat or whatever you have in mind. Real reasonable too.

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoBob View Post
                      I've used the leading-axle fenders on standard forks by re-drilling the mounting holes. Also, you can bend the steel fenders to match the width of your forks, if necessary.

Thaks, found a 550 fender that may work. The drilling is an option.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryC View Post
                        I have a fender from my '79 GS 1000 (straight axle)that I replaced with a chrome one. It is rattle-can black with a gloss clear coat. Don't look too bad. But of course you could powder coat or whatever you have in mind. Real reasonable too.
                        How much $ would you let me take it off your hands for?

Bret

Comment

Weeeelllllllll........ lol now that I opened my big mouth I'll have to try to find a container for it. $20 plus shipping? I'd let it go for free but packaging this thing is gonna be a pain. I'll probly have to buy a box........or something.

Comment

Working...
                          X