Wes Cooley Screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wes Cooley Screws

I ordered new OEM screws from for my GS1000S windscreen. The screws I received are chrome.

Does anyone know if these were origanally chrome or black?

I'm not sure, but this might help. http://www.thegsresources.com/hallof...o_jan_2012.htm
    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I think the originals were black, at least they were on my '79. Ray
      "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
      GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
      1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
      1979 GS1000SN The new hope
      1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
        Looks like chrome on this one.

I like the term " Rolling Restoration" he uses in his description. I will most likely be doing similar with mine.

Comment

Heres mine which is a factory unmolested example..complete with all 33 yeras of scratches and dents. Thing is Suzuki superceeded lots of parts and they changed the finishes. For example, the mirror shock mounts for the 78 1000E were originally chrome. They are still available under a superceeded number and now they come in black instead of chrome.

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Truth be told, you would most likely be better off with the black nylon screws the aftermarket wind screen people sell. You can snug them up without over tightening, and they don't come loose.
            http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
              Heres mine which is a factory unmolested example..complete with all 33 yeras of scratches and dents. Thing is Suzuki superceeded lots of parts and they changed the finishes. For example, the mirror shock mounts for the 78 1000E were originally chrome. They are still available under a superceeded number and now they come in black instead of chrome.

Can't tell from the picture...do the rubber washers go on the outside of the screen or in between the screen and the cowling?

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post

You got that right about the GS1000E mirrors shocks, I ordered one and got a black one also, problem is I can get the chrome one off my other mirror to have a matching set on the bike, so I'm just keeping it for a spare. I've had a few problems with the revised parts. For instance a '82 GS1100E upper frame mount grommet
                is too small, breaks the tabs off.
                sigpic
                Steve
                "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Rubber washers go between the screw head and the windshield.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originals were definitely black.....but stainless looks nice.
                    79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer
                    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Here's a Couple shots of the chrome screws Suzuki sells as OEM.

Any suggestions on an adhesive to keep the rubber moulding and pads in place?

Comment

A very tiny bit of Gorilla Superglue dabbed in the inside back of the molding with a wire, at the ends and every few inches along the channel. The hardest part is getting someone to hold it so the edges are up so you can do it without getting any on the sides. Works great and will come off later if you don't use too much.

Comment

from what i can tell the part number is 02142-05125?

so.... translated into english that means:

05 - M5
                          12 - 12mm length
                          5 - black

that applies to all suzuki bolts... the last number obviously varies depending on the finish...

3=ZINC OLIVE DRAB
                          5=BLACK
                          6=ZINC ,GOLD PASSERVATE
                          7=CHROME
                          B=BLACK
                          8=ZINC BZP

Comment

Originally posted by sparki View Post
                            from what i can tell the part number is 02142-05125?

so.... translated into english that means:

05 - M5
                            12 - 12mm length
                            5 - black

that applies to all suzuki bolts... the last number obviously varies depending on the finish...

3=ZINC OLIVE DRAB
                            5=BLACK
                            6=ZINC ,GOLD PASSERVATE
                            7=CHROME
                            B=BLACK
                            8=ZINC BZP
                            Good info..Thanks.

Comment

The mystery of the screws has been resolved with the early GS1000S ride report story in the Discussion threads. They look to be black, as were the ones on mine when I got it.
                              1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Working...
                              X