Pelican side bags...installed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pelican side bags...installed.

bbjumper and I are planning a 9 day Yellowstone trip in August. I have a box for the rear rack but wanted some more storage room. This I think, is my solution.

These are pelican cases I attached to the sides with u-bolts. I attached them to the grab bar and the to the passenger foot peg. They do not rub on anything, not the shock, side panel, or frame anywhere. I think they will work well for carrying some of my gear since I am going to put the Tour Tank behind the backrest. With these and the box on the back I should have plenty of room. The one on the exhaust side is well above the pipe but I am still going to put some heat shield on the bottom of the case.

pack everything in water tight plastic bags and add weather stripping to the rims of the cases.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

What's the Tour Tank? Aux fuel??
      1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
      1983 GS 1100 G
      2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
      2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
      1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
        What's the Tour Tank? Aux fuel??
        Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
          pack everything in water tight plastic bags and add weather stripping to the rims of the cases.
          Planned on packing in bags but the weather stripping is a good idea...thanks

Comment

You won't need it with the Pelicans as long as you've sealed anywhere that you've drilled....

Thought I was on the wrong forum for a moment there...!

These are a cheaper alternative to Pelican that get good reviews:

1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
              You won't need it with the Pelicans as long as you've sealed anywhere that you've drilled....

Thought I was on the wrong forum for a moment there...!

These are a cheaper alternative to Pelican that get good reviews:

http://www.seahorse.net/
              I thought that myself but no harm in being safe..
              Last edited by Guest; 02-21-2012, 02:22 PM.

Comment

When we went out to Minnesota afew years ago, I got one of those emergency gas cans you put in the trunk and put that in the Tbags just in case someone needed it..noone did, but it was nice to know it was there.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by MiloBramble View Post
                  I thought that myself but no harm in being safe...I get these for free, that is why I have them.
                  Putting stuff in liner bags or stuff sacks makes it easier to unload. Doesn't look like you're setup for "quick release"

Free is the best price
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Nope, not quick release. Will only put them on when I go on tours. I can fit my tent plus more in one and now that I have the extra storage I am taking my twin size air mattress and pump. They fit in one with room to spare.
                    Last edited by Guest; 02-17-2012, 11:49 PM.

Comment

How much room is there between the bag and the pumpkin? To me it looks like there could be an issue should you load the suspension and then work it pretty good but it's hard telling in the photo angles you have.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                        How much room is there between the bag and the pumpkin? To me it looks like there could be an issue should you load the suspension and then work it pretty good but it's hard telling in the photo angles you have.
                        Josh, in the 2nd pic of post #1, I think I see the hole through the head on the end of the rear axle. It's almost in line with the shock, so I think he's good.

I was wondering how well the case and the u-bolts will hold together. I probably would have wanted to add a flat strap inside the case to reinforce the wall. I don't have much experience with Pelican cases, so I don't have a feel for how tough the material is. I imagine they were subjected to the yank-on-it-like-a-maniac test, so it's probably fine.

Nice mod, BTW.
                        Last edited by Dogma; 02-18-2012, 12:28 PM.
                        Dogma
                        --
                        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                          Josh, in the 2nd pic of post #1, I think I see the hole through the head on the end of the rear axle. It's almost in line with the shock, so I think he's good.

I was wondering how well the case and the u-bolts will hold together. I probably would have wanted to add a flat strap inside the case to reinforce the wall. I don't have much experience with Pelican cases, so I don't have a feel for how tough the material is. I imagine they were subjected to the yank-on-it-like-a-maniac test, so it's probably fine.

Nice mod, BTW.
                          There is a flat support strip on the inside. I think they should be called Gorilla Cases since a gorilla would have a hard time damaging one of these things.

As for the clearance, everything lines up outside the shocks and no rear wheel components come into play.

Comment

[QUOTE

Nice mod, BTW.[/QUOTE]

Thanks....

Comment

What a great looking bike

I have a 1982 750 TZ. I have nowhere to put luggage as it is. You have a great looking setup. Did you make the seatback and luggage rack? Thanks - Rob D.

Comment

Working...
                              X