L Seat debumping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

L Seat debumping

I have an "L" seat. I would like to shave the back bump down a couple inches, and either use the same cover, or recover it. Has anyone done this? If so... how'd it go?

Scudder

The PO did this on my L. He used the original cover and folded it under and stapled the cover to the pan. I think it looks better, but the padding above the lock assembly is really minimal. It's okay two-up for shorter rides, but we add extra padding on longer outings. I'll take a picture later for you later today

Also, the "bump" is in the pan, which limits the amount of reshaping you can do. I feel like the bump won't let me stretch out.

Comment

Thanks. The bump won't let me stretch out either when I have on the "L" tank. I'm installing a "G" tank and I have plenty of room, with the "L" seat. I'm 6'1" so the orginal "L" set up is way too close for me and comfortable riding of any distance. I did install (for a while) a flat seat off a cb550 with helped give me room with the smaller tanks, and helped me extend my arms a bit and scoot back.

Scudder

Comment

Originally posted by Scudder View Post
        Thanks. The bump won't let me stretch out either when I have on the "L" tank. I'm installing a "G" tank and I have plenty of room, with the "L" seat. I'm 6'1" so the orginal "L" set up is way too close for me and comfortable riding of any distance. I did install (for a while) a flat seat off a cb550 with helped give me room with the smaller tanks, and helped me extend my arms a bit and scoot back.

Scudder
        Not quite sure how to tell you this, but the G tank won't give you any more room.

In fact, it mounts to the same place on the frame (at the rear), and might even crowd you just a bit more, because it does not taper forward quite as quickly as the L tank.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Do it…

I've cut and reshaped the foam on a 3 bikes, 2 GS's and a '90 Katana 750.
          No biggie.
          Take care, peal off the seat cover, note how it's attached.
          Mark your ideas on the foam, test them a bit. Then take a sharp bread knife, saw off the excess, use the cut off foam to reshape the low spots, use carpet adhesive to stick it on, (read the can first).
          NOTE: Leave a low spot in the middle for your balls.
          You can buy nice upholstery fabric at girl places like Joleen Fabric.
          Drape the fabric over the seat upside down, and mark your cuts and folds.
          You'll have to sew the corners.
          Fit the new cover over the seat, carefully pull it tight and hook it on the convenient hooks built into the seat pan.
          Post pics here.
          Bill
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I put on different bars too. Perhaps it's the bar and G tank combo that helps me extend my arms. The G tank does require the seat to be moved back a couple inches, which feels like more room to me away from the bars. As far as leg room, no difference to speak of.

Scudder

Comment

I would love to see some pics of re-shaped L seats also, hopefuly reusing the original cover. Also, 2 up riding will be more the norm.

Comment

Here are some pics of the modified seat. Like I said, I bought the bike like this, but maybe you can get some ideas from the photos. There's more pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/3905648...th/6792395510/

Comment

Has a better shape, but since the old cover was torn or the PO tore it trying to reuse it, it has a lot of looseness to it, which in turn takes away from the look, plus he didn't do a good job with the foam shaving either, but the overall idea was good. I'm not sure if the reformed shaped of the L seat will conform to a new shape... Thanks for the pics, hope you didn't think I was running your bike down, just the PO's workmanship. By the way, I like the green, even like the de-chrome airbox painted as well.

Comment

I agree on the looseness. I wish it looked better. but I've seen a lot of hack-job seats and am a little hesitant of making this seat worse by further altering the cover. And, since 75% of the stitching is gone, and holes are starting to form, I'll be getting it recovered relatively soon. At that time I plan on reshaping the nose and takeing out some of the scooped shaped.

Either that, Or i'm thinking about picking up a used Thruxton seat. They look like a good match:

Comment

Is there any indication that the thruxton has a longer seat area for the driver, nice thing is you can de-L it even further with the cowl option for that seat, just have to pay 2 plus bills and custom fab it to fit.

Comment

I de-Led mine by installing the "G" seat from my parts bike. Much more comfortable. I sold the original "L" seat by the way, never going back.

Comment

How much fab/mod work did it take to use the G seat? Got a pic?

Comment

I think I've got a picture somewhere. If not, I'll get one later today. If you can get a "G" seat from an '82 or later, it wil work easier though, as it has the mounting bars on the front. I used the one off my '81 parts bike with the side hinges, I removed all that hardware, including the grab bar, slotted the front to accept the hold down loop ends (which I raised 1" and moved back approx 1" to accomodate new tank mounting bolts), then bolted the rear of the seat down, no lock anymore. Click on my username, go to threads started by me, and you can find my thread on De-"L" ing my bike. I might have taken some pictures of the seat, I don't remember.

Comment

Working...
                            X