Shes heeeeeeere - Seat Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shes heeeeeeere - Seat Issue

So my 79 GS750 has finally come back from my mechanics all running smoothly (and scaring the neighbours with the 4 into 1 exhaust muhahahah) but I have a seat issue. The rear nut needs replacing as its basically just rust but at the front there is no nut just a locking system that doesnt lock to anything. Puzzled? Quite possible this isnt the standard seat. Any ideas? Any suggestions for the best way to re-attach it are more than welcome
    Last edited by Guest; 02-27-2012, 01:08 PM. Reason: I type like my fingers are made from sausages... awful spelling :)

Not the stock seat there mate. The GS750 didn't get a plastic pan until later down the road (83 maybe?) and it looks as if someone's ground the hinges off of the frame for the stocker? The stock seat would have had a lock on the right hand side near the side cover, and would have flipped open to the side on pin hinges toward the left. Bummer
    Until you can figure out what to do, perhaps you could source some heavy duty velcro to at least help hold her in place. I've used that on some cafe seats before and it actually works well.

Comment

Yeah, with the stock attachments shaved off the frame, you'll have to fudge you current seat on there for now. If I was in that situation I'd make my own seat from the pan up rather than try to restore the frame and track down a stock seat and lock. There are a lot of how-to article to be found with some google searches. Cafe or low profile seats will be the easiest style to make. I posted my first and second seat attempts in this thread.

Comment

I can send you pictures of what it is SUPPOSED to look like if you wish.
        I might even be able to cut off some hinges from a spare frame if you can get them welded back on.

Daniel

Comment

I just happen to know of a pretty good 750 seat knocking about looking for a new owner.

Comment

Working...
          X