Spray-Max 2part aerosol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spray-Max 2part aerosol?

I'm ready to start painting and had concerns about how to avoid fuel destroying the paint on the tank. After some web searching I came upon Spray-Max. I am curious if any of you have seen or used this product? The product is a clear top-coat. It comes in 2 cans with can A having a valve in the bottom. When ready to use, attach Part B can to the bottom of the spray can and discharge the catalyst in to the paint can. A few shakes and you are ready to apply a 2 part polyurethane finish coat to your tank. This may be old news but I could not find any mention of it on the forum. At 20 Bucks a unit, it's not cheap but a lot cheaper and easier than the old fashioned process; If it works? Love to see some feedback on this. Thanks.
    Niels

I think it is every bit as resistant to fuel as any other two part urethane.
    Have not tested it myself, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Put any information that you have to make your bike look great in here.

Comment

I used 2k spray Max on my tank over Duplicolor lacquer . Worked well, good high gloss. While I do clean up any fuel drips quickly, I have had no issues with fuel damaging the paint. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS! Temperature and humidity are important. Too cold, or too humid, and the clear will fog badly. If it fogs, you will have to strip it and start over.

Comment

Used it on my wife's 450 and it's easy to work with, and great results. Have had it on a year and couple of small gas drips on paint with no ill effects. Due get a pretty good breathing mask, not just a paper one, the fumes are nasty from this stuff. Plenty of ventilation is a must too. Also once you mix the can you only have a certain amount to time to use it (hr. maybe?) so be ready to go before combining parts. terrylee

Comment

TerryLee,
            Thanks; That's what I wanted to hear. I have a good mask but thanks for the warning. It shouldn't take an hour to get several coats on the tank, front fender and cafe tail. Whoever came up with that idea deseves a lot of kudos; What a great way to do small projects.
            Niels

Comment

Keman,
              Down here on Galveston Bay, cold won't be an issue but a day with low humidity is rare. Maybe Barb will let me do it in the living room?
              Thanks,
              Niels

Comment

Please follow all warning strictly. Your health and/or life really do depend on it.
                Current Bikes:
                2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

what I said! terrylee

Comment

Originally posted by ndaugbjerg View Post
                    Keman,
                    Down here on Galveston Bay, cold won't be an issue but a day with low humidity is rare. Maybe Barb will let me do it in the living room?
                    Thanks,
                    Niels
                    No. On the contrary, you'd be best off wearing a mask while spraying it.

I just finished putting it on my tank, and the stuff is no joke.

And it doesn't come it two cans. Everything is contained in one can. Shake for 2 minutes, push the plunger on the bottom, shake for 2 more minutes.

The stuff only lasts 48 hours once mixed though, so make sure you can get it all down within 2 days.

Comment

I got poisioned by Isocyanates in 1986, by spraying Dupont Imron, I was in the hospital for over a week, and my lungs have never been the same.

Comment

I wouldn't shoot any urethane paint indoors without a professional mask with an air line and a proper spray booth. I don't want to be the new Rodney. Rodney is the guy who painted the destroyer I was on, full time spray painter. Painted a different space every day, that's all he did. Nice enough guy, high as a kite always, permanently and forevermore... Not a whole lot going on upstairs one than that.
                        But with modern paints you just die, no getting high or nothing, not much fun at all.
                        Rodney probably wouldn't like that so much.

Shooting outdoors is just fine if you do it when there's no dust or bugs. I paint in cold weather for this reason. Keep the paint and the parts indoors and warm, take them out to shoot and right back in to dry. No bugs, no dust. Watch out for snowflakes.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Anyone have pics of this stuff after its been shot? I'm really considering trying my hand at this this spring (I don't have the power or space to run a compressor in my little shop) and is like to see how it looks.

Comment

Ok, I've said this in another thread before... 2k over lacquer will not last. Long story short the lacquer is too soft a base for the hard 2k top coat. Think an m&m that's been in the car on a warm day (a bit of an extreme example but its how my old boss explained it). Also its illegal here in Aus to sell 2k that contains isocyanates to the general public. It absolutely must be sprayed in a booth while wearing a positive pressure air wash hood, otherwise you will poison yourself, your neighbours and your pets. An organic particle filter respirator should be the minimum for any other paint thats atomised into the atmosphere, try to make a bit of a makeshift booth with drop sheets if you can, it'll keep dirt out of your paint and won't **** anybody off. Also try to keep the floor damp, it'll stop any dust being kicked up as you move around the part you are spraying (dirt in 2k is a bit of a pain to get out once its cured). I'm a qualified auto refinisher just so you all don't think I'm blowing smoke up your backsides.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                              Anyone have pics of this stuff after its been shot? I'm really considering trying my hand at this this spring (I don't have the power or space to run a compressor in my little shop) and is like to see how it looks.
                              Sorry, these are the best pics i have at the moment. I think this is a similar product. It is 2 pak in a can. You have to shake it and "crack" a second canister in the bottom of the can, you have about 1-2 hours to use it(can remember exactly hour long). i think 1 can does about 6 square metres?
                              any way, i would try more with it after doing these shocks.

Comment

Working...
                              X