powder coating valve cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

powder coating valve cover

1150 motor all black typical flaking on valve cover anybody ever had their's
    powdercoated?

I have mine done & no issues.You HAVE to tape off the gasket surface or it wont go back into the grooves. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
      I have mine done & no issues.You HAVE to tape off the gasket surface or it wont go back into the grooves. Ray.
      Rapidray would know the right answer, so go ahead and powdercoat it. I would have said powdercoating is basically baked-on fancy plastic and can't take the heat. But if Ray has done it on a valve cover, go for it.

I've had things powdercoated before (brake calipers) and he's right, if you fail to tape up the areas you don't want coated, they spray everything and you're in trouble. Be sure to make clear what needs the "paint" - if it's NOT taped, it will be "painted".

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
        I have mine done & no issues. Ray.
        Care to share some pictures?

Daniel

Comment

You can powdercoat pretty much everything on the engine and it'll stand up to the heat - including your cylinder head as well. Unfortunately headers get too hot and that's paint or ceramic (or chrome) only.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Hers my valve cover i powdercoated for my '82 GS850

Comment

That is a nice looking job there. I'm envious.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I'm planning on getting some engine covers done. Once the factory clear fails, it is way too much trouble to keep the engine cases looking good after you polish them.

I had http://www.jdpowdercoatings.com/index.html do a set of Lotus Cortina rims for me. Looks like his prices have gone up. He had a lot of available, including clears and translucent colors.

Looks like his prices have gone up...
                sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                X