GS550 - "extended" swingarm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 - "extended" swingarm?

I'm looking for ways to change the stance of '79 GS550 without shopping the frame up/welding, so I was thinking about doing some shorter shocks and an extended swingarm.

Anyone got any idea what swingarms will fit without cutting/welding? I'm looking for 2" or more extra length. I don't mind a little grinding, or coming up with some bushings/spacers etc.

gs1100e aluminum swingarm is exactly what you want. do a search , check out my build thread and others. its approx2-3 longer and will lay the shocks out .
    1978 GS550 E
    673cc swap / the hot rod

2013 GSXR
    New daily rider

2012 RMZ450
    for playing in the dirt

Comment

Originally posted by boontonmike View Post
      gs1100e aluminum swingarm is exactly what you want. do a search , check out my build thread and others. its approx2-3 longer and will lay the shocks out .

Thanks Mike! I'll start searching.

EDIT: $300? Damn, looks like this project is going to have to wait a little bit.

Will this one work? I know it's not aluminum, but it's like 1/12th of the price. I'm not looking to build anything fast.

Last edited by Guest; 03-02-2012, 03:39 PM.

Comment

It's the same dimensions as the aluminum version. Looks like it will need new bearings and sleeves at the very least. Figure another 100 bucks or more for that.

Comment

Originally posted by OLDENUFF View Post
          It's the same dimensions as the aluminum version. Looks like it will need new bearings and sleeves at the very least. Figure another 100 bucks or more for that.

Sounds a lot better than $300 for the swingarm lol. Thanks.

Comment

You should be able to get an aluminum one for 100-150 if you wait a bit. They pop up here every now and again.
            1978 GS550 E
            673cc swap / the hot rod

2013 GSXR
            New daily rider

2012 RMZ450
            for playing in the dirt

Comment

Just a warning you will have to drill out your stock pivot holes in your frame with a 5/8th dril bit (its a mm or two larger) and if you have the stock passenger peg mounts you will have to spread them with a bottle jack. Then space the rear wheel properly and remount your rear brake caliper. It's all not that bad and well worht it.
              1978 GS550 E
              673cc swap / the hot rod

2013 GSXR
              New daily rider

2012 RMZ450
              for playing in the dirt

Comment

Are there any pictures floating around of the shorter vs. longer versions of the swing arm?

I bought a 1100E swing-arm, and will measure when I get it.. but was curious.

Comment

$110 SHIPPED BUT IT NOW PRICE :

Great deal, fair warning, it won't last and i put it up in the for sale forum too.

1978 GS550 E
                  673cc swap / the hot rod

2013 GSXR
                  New daily rider

2012 RMZ450
                  for playing in the dirt

Comment

Working...
                  X