Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on Bed lining tank and side cover...!?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on Bed lining tank and side cover...!?!?!

Well, it appears that my tank has had a home paint job in the past. While having my tank off, it had tipped over and fell on its top. The gas ate a big hole in the paint

It looks as if rattle can clear has been used on it.

In an attempt to be cheap AND sport a different look, how would the rhino liner be for the tank and covers?

I know people have ran it on the frames and such, haven't seen or heard of it on the tins.

Anyone know about how the rhino liner reacts to fuel?

PM "Dogma" his bike is "Rhino-lined". All i can say is be sure that's what you want to live with because as he's found out, it's not at all easy to remove if you decide you don't like it later...

Comment

The best pics I have of the bed liner on the bike are in this thread.

It's not Rhino liner though. It's Duplicolor's roll-on bed liner. If you check the MSDS sheets, you can probably get an idea of whether Rhino liner is likely as gas-resistant. I remember looking it up, and the chemistry is different. The Duplicolor liner has been impervious to gas spills, but a persistent master cylinder leak did eventually eat through it (and the paint below that).

It took me a little while to get used to having it, but it definitely grew on me. The biggest thing is not having to worry about scratching it. I can lay a tool on the tank, or slap the bag on without having to first remove dust particles.

There is a down side. It doesn't look as nice as a good paint job. It doesn't make a rat bike. At best, it looks like someone was trying to make a rat bike. It's difficult to remove, maybe impossible to get off the plastics without destroying them. Maybe a lot of very careful sanding would do it. It would definitely knock a hole in a GS's already limited resale value (that's how I got mine). The absolute worst part is, if you buy a bike with it already on, people never stop asking when you're going to get rid of it. If you decide to put it on yourself, I think folks might lynch you.

I haven't looked into it, but I've heard that colors other than black are available. That might be fun to play with. There is another kind of bed liner that I think is sort of rubbery. Flaming Chainsaws (I think it was) bought an 1100E with this, and was able to peel it off. That may have been a bad surface prep thing, though.

My advice would be to try it on the tank only for a while, and see if you want to commit to the look. If not, you'll be able to remove it with a sanding disc in a drill motor. Eventually.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I recall that the 550, at least, originally had no finish at all on the side covers, just black molded plastic. That being the case, bed liner wouldn't be too out of place. I saw it on a modern Kawasaki, recently:

Comment

Thanks for your input dogma. I am selling the bike to a friend. This whole bike was bought and being fixed with the lowest possible cost as possible

I talked to him about it, he said he is fine with it. Hes not interested in a show bike, or turning into one of those bobber things everyone seems to be making out of these older bikes.

Just doing the tank and the 2 side covers, leaving the fenders chrome. I have about $750 into the bike and am selling it to him for my costs, not looking to make a profit, just help someone out

Comment

well, I did it

Comment

wow. i guess i need to see the whole enchilada

Comment

Sorry dude. I absolutely despise that stuff. But it's not my bike!

Comment

well at least he has something to grip onto.....

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                    well at least he has something to grip onto.....

Its not to bad, I think once on the bike it will look good

Comment

I think this stuff without the grit would make for a great covering. Maybe I will sand (gind ) it down and try a can that has sat and not stir it....idk

Comment

Originally posted by pooleo View Post
                        well, I did it

it's perfect for those stunter guys when they do those what do they call um "highchairs" when they sit on the tank with there legs hanging over the headlight over the handle bars
                        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
                        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

man that looks like **** sorry, it looks like cake batter, maybe the smooth liner stuff woulda looked lots better

Comment

[QUOTE=pooleo;1603831]well, I did it

Ohhh..the humanity.....
                            Last edited by nvr2old; 03-15-2012, 10:59 PM.
                            1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

heres some more pics. For what it is, Im happy with it. Its not a show bike, its not being restored. Its a good starter bike. I think Im going to hit it with a flap wheel and try another coat without stirring it up. Its little too gritty. But hey, its cheap.

Comment

Working...
                              X