What size lamp will fit this housing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What size lamp will fit this housing?

So. I have an extra headlight housing. I can either replace the old plastic housing for around $30, or I can buy a lamp to fit this really awesome metal Suzuki housing that I got in a random mystery box o'parts that came with the bike. The only problem is that I have no clue what size lamp will fit this housing.

What is the diameter of your housing? That would be your first clue what size bulb you can put in there.

Seeing as it's a chrome housing, I will guess that it's off an L, meaning that it will be a 6" light. If it is a 6" light, you will also need new mounting ears to fit your bike, as the offset is different.

You will also need the front bezel and the frame that actually holds the bulb/reflector assembly. I just saw one in the back shed earlier today, I will have to fetch it to see what size it is.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You're missing a lot of internal parts and hardware in addition to the lamp and bulb.

It would be a LOT cheaper and easier to buy a new assembly, plus it wouldn't be all rusty.

For example

Custom and OE Style Head Lights and mounts and Bulbs in CRC2's Online Catalog of New motorcycle Parts and Accessories Indy
      Last edited by bwringer; 03-21-2012, 09:26 AM.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I just measured and the diameter came out to 7".

Comment

I still have the rest of the assembly for the the original housing (by original I mean it was on the bike when I got it), but it is 8".

Comment

Originally posted by jus1087 View Post
            I just measured and the diameter came out to 7".
            Originally posted by jus1087 View Post
            I still have the rest of the assembly for the the original housing (by original I mean it was on the bike when I got it), but it is 8".
            I am presuming that these are OUTSIDE diameters?

An 8" OUTSIDE diameter housing will hold a standard 7" light, by the time all the mounting hardware is installed.

Same thing applies with the 7" housing, you will only fit a 6" light inside it.

Bwringer has it right, you can get a complete unit for about the same price as the guts.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'll take your word for it. I guess I'll just turn the chrome housing into a desk lamp or something.

Comment

Working...
              X