Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

85 1150 ES Fairing on a 78 GS1000 - Thoughts???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85 1150 ES Fairing on a 78 GS1000 - Thoughts???

What do you think about this look? Now use your imagination because it is just a quick Photoshop edit done by a co-worker for me and you would have to picture it with the paint to match the bike. I used Dink's gallery picture for the fairing. Thanks Dink Maybe the orange and gold stripe through the ribbed area of the lowers? Give me your feedback. Do you think this would look good? And even if it does, would it work? Give me your input everyone. Thanks.

Well actually it looks surprisingly good! 8)

Comment

I think if it was painted correctly, it would look great! The round headlight helps with the vintage look of the GS.

Mounting could pose a bit of a problem though. I know my 550 ES fairing has a really strange bracket that would not fit around most bike frames/tanks.

Kenny

Comment

The more I look at it the more I am liking it. I am just not sure about the mounting as you say. Maybe Dink has some input as he owns the 1150 and knows how it mounts and has owned a 1000 and knows a bit about them as well. What do you think Dink? Could this work? I am not certain that the handle bars would clear either but I am really starting to like the look of this when I picture it painted to match.

Comment

I think it looks very good, the 1150 fairings look much better than the Hannigans in my opinion. Much cheaper too. I would paint the bike rather than the fairing.

Steve

Comment

found this one in the gallerie...

Comment

Mark, the 1150 fairing has possibilities, although the mounting will be a challenge unless you have a 1150 mount to modify. Personally I think the "S" fairing on the 79/80 1000's looks better on those year bikes. If you're set on the 1150 ES fairing try it without the lower pieces on. I think it would tie in better.
              Doze.

Comment

mark I think it looks great go for it and yes the stripe down the fairing will help the lines flow 8)

Comment

Mark I looked at your photoshop effort, the instant I saw it turned to our beloved Queen and said "he's stolen my fairing" (how's that for knowing your bike ) I like the effect and it sure does need colour matching though, I also dont think the bracketry will not be as hard as everyone seems to think it only attaches to the bike at four points which shouldnt be to hard to fabricate, I would recommend getting a full set of stock 1150 brackets though as they wouldnt be so easy. BTW my two cents I would keep the side panels as shown as they are sufficient to keep you dry in light to moderate rain, without them you get wet.
                  Dink

Comment

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am currently on the market for a Wes Cooley Replica or "S" fairing but am having trouble locating one that I can afford. I found the fairing pictured above at an affordable price and that coupled with the fact that it had side skirting or lowers and was affordable is what gave me this idea.

I agree with Dink that the sides should stay on if I am going for this fairing. I also think it would look nice painted to match the bike but tend to agree more with Steve that it may look better if the bike were painted to match the fairing in this case. Maybe a whole new color like a darker electric blue with black stripes.

Just wanted feedback. Like Doze said the S fairing is really what belongs on here if I can find one. But this one would provide better wind protection. Just worried about the handle bar clearance.

The bike will most likely stay bare come spring and the rest of my cosmetic works will take place over the summer.

I cleaned up on ebay last week and have some money for parts now. Nancy and I made almost 700 in one week by cleaning out the garage of all that stuff You all know what I am talking about, all that good working stuff that you have stored away that you don't want to get rid of because it is still good. But it's been out there for years! Sell it! lol

I had no idea we would do so good.

Now I got bike fever even more!

Comment

I think you have a scale issue there the GS1150 fairing is larger than you have made it on the GS thou, I couldnt wait to rip mine off.....
                      through it in the dumpster and all the other crap that you dont need and can be cut off with a ZIP disc.....I aint scared fairings are for pooftda's

Comment

Originally posted by joe.d
                        I think you have a scale issue there the GS1150 fairing is larger than you have made it on the GS thou, I couldnt wait to rip mine off.....
                        through it in the dumpster and all the other crap that you dont need and can be cut off with a ZIP disc.....I aint scared fairings are for pooftda's
                        and think of how much money you could have made by selling your so called crappy fairing. :twisted:

Comment

The 1100 fairing is magic for the larger light size..
                          Those are my bikes in the pics..
                          But unless you get the fairing with a headlight and if its priced right you will pay a motza for the light.. In Australia they only came out with that light on about 3 suzuki models and 2 yamahas.. The wreckers will charge you a five tune for one.. I have one spare light and one in a headlamp shell and they stay with me until I no longer run that size light.

For my fairing it was the light size I wanted and then just trimmed the side fairing down to suit...
                          Regards Simon

Comment

Mark, if you're concerned about handlebar clearance, a new set of bars with a "superbike" bend should solve that issue. See my black 81 in the gallery for comparison.
                            Doze.

Comment

It's all just an idea. I just wanted to get other GS rider feedback which I did. Thanks I really want an "S" fairing and am trying to get one that isn't going to cost me my right arm as I have already spent my left arm and part of a leg rebuilding the engine in this thing. 8O

Comment

Working...
                              X