Primer "checking" paint.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Primer "checking" paint.

Sanded the tail piece of my 78 1000 down to this.Two different primers have done this.

Sand this smooth or sand it right down to the plastic?

Is that the original paint on the tail section, or has it been repainted before? Usually if primer reacts that badly, it's been a repaint. Is it a lacquer primer? If so, I would sand it all the way back to bare plastic at this point otherwise it's just gonna do it again. You'll probably have to to get it smooth again anyway. Don't be afraid to use something aggresive to get it off..100 grit would be fine, then move on to 180, 400, then prime it again. You might also be spraying the primer too wet on the first couple of coats and it's eating right into it. Spray the first couple real light and dry and let them set for 20 minutes or more between coats. The final couple of coats can get progressively wetter and thicker. It's fixable..just more work.
    1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

I thought it was original paint,now I'm not sure.Think I will get down to the plastic to be sure.HI Ho Hi Ho It's off to sand I go Thanks Larry.

Comment

Yep, the solvents in the primer are attacking the paint underneath. Happy sanding mate it sucks, but your new paint job will be all the better for it in the end.

Comment

Sanded all,well most of the paint off.

And reprimed,no checkingOK mostly,there is a bit where the reflector goes,not to worried about it there.

Comment

Strange how it did it earlier and not this time, perhpas something was just a bit off, or something left behind, I know you probably did, but it was cleaned up nice, and you used a tack cloth after sanding, and cleaned up really well on your other attempts at priming.....and if so, it's really strange as to why it checked earlier, and not this time.....

Comment

I think nvr2old hit the problem,it was repainted.Got ALL the old paint off.Bare plastic was the difference GK.

Comment

Very good to know this......

thanks for updating

Comment

laqr primer? your clean up wasnt good enough, i think there was residue left on it, i have been there n done it
                  plastic- you really need a good sealer, i have had a great primer job look great, but somehow after painting, the plastic blead through, so i would say unless you want to do it more than once use a good primer/ sealer on anything you want to look good and last, it only as good as the base work, you can only cover up so much ,then it will bite you in the a$s

Comment

Working...
                  X