Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo/Tach questions

I'm wanting to install these gauges.
    Am I going to have any issues replacing the stock gauges?
    I guess I'm asking if they hook up the same way.

Mini Speedometer #03-0744 $70.00
    Mini Tachometer #03-0745 $60.00
    Mounting Clamp #03-0740 $4.00

http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/suzuki/gs750c/?filters[category]=controls

According to the link above, they are suitable For Suzuki, Honda 750-1000cc.
    So I guess it should work. Or I'll make it work.

Comment

First time I read this thread, nice looking gauges, did you ever buy them and install? if so, pics??

Comment

I have those on my bike. The only hiccup is you need to add diodes to make the signal wiring work. They are cheap and easy to do.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
          I have those on my bike. The only hiccup is you need to add diodes to make the signal wiring work. They are cheap and easy to do.
          I'm not using the original signal relay and bypassed the self cancel, so it may work as it should since I'm already using an auto relay with lower amp signals.

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool View Post
            First time I read this thread, nice looking gauges, did you ever buy them and install? if so, pics??
            I didn't. I decided to use the stock speedo and a GS1000 tach with fuel gauge.
            I really do like those mini-gauges and maybe I will switch to them one day.

Comment

I have those exact same gauges on my bike. Just be sure to match up your colour codes and get the polarity right on the LEDs and you'll be fine. I'm not sure how accurate the tach is but it's good enough for me. I don't have the stock turn signal blinkers in my bike either. I really like these gauges.

I made up a little bracket so that I could install them on my stock triple trees.

I had the bracket powdercoated in the same texture black as the triples.

Comment

Nice work on the bracket. Very nice work.

Comment

Thanks! Amazing what 20 minutes with an angle grinder can achieve! Actually I used the stock brackets as a guide and made a mock-up out of cardboard first. Have to say I'm pretty pleased with the result.

Comment

I like that double bracket. Mine are mounted individually, but your pairing looks tighter.

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool View Post
                      I'm not using the original signal relay and bypassed the self cancel, so it may work as it should since I'm already using an auto relay with lower amp signals.
                      The reason for the diodes is not the signal relay. The Dime City gauges only have one light for the turn signals, instead of one for left and one for right. So if you want the light to come on when you have a signal on (to remind you turn it off a mile or so after you turn ), you have to run both signal circuits through one wire into the gauge.

Without diodes, the joined wires trigger both circuits at once, converting your turn signals into hazard lights. By adding a diode to each signal wire before they merge and go into the gauge, you keep the left and right electric paths separate, even though either one will still trigger the indicator in the gauge.

The diodes cost less than a buck and they tie in directly to each wire. So it's not a big deal to add them to the mix in terms of cost or effort. Just one more step in the re-wiring portion of installing that gauge.

Comment

Hey, I am installing the same gauges on my '79 GS1000L. Can you be more specific with which diodes to get for the indicator light please?
                        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by troopah43 View Post
                          Hey, I am installing the same gauges on my '79 GS1000L. Can you be more specific with which diodes to get for the indicator light please?
                          Thanks
                          Here is the thread from my installation, with details about the diodes.

Comment

Working...
                          X