No announcement yet.

Cheap paint jobs. Pics please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From past experience, I would never again use the cheap off brand crap.
    I've used Krylon and Duplicolor with success, but Rustoleum seems hit and miss.
    Sometimes it's good and sometimes it's not.
    But these were all enamel not acrylic lacquer.
    I wasn't sure about any of them on this type of application.

Comment

Originally posted by ValorSolo View Post
      From past experience, I would never again use the cheap off brand crap.
      I've used Krylon and Duplicolor with success, but Rustoleum seems hit and miss.
      Sometimes it's good and sometimes it's not.
      But these were all enamel not acrylic lacquer.
      I wasn't sure about any of them on this type of application.
      It's funny, because I have the opposite.
      Duplicolor - used to be great, but now hit or miss. still has the best color choices and shines up the best.
      Krylon - will never use on a bike. doesn't hold up to gas. Will craze if left out in the sun.
      Rustoleum - hard to get really shiny, but takes gas and the sun ok.

Whatever you do, don't try any clear coat other than 2-part epoxy. Gas eats through the ordinary clear coats with great speed and efficiency!

Comment

If you're going to use a catalized clear don't use krylon or rustoleum. They dont play well with some other paints. Duplicolor is pretty neutral so it will be fine. But spray Duplicolor over krylon and it will look like crackle paint

Comment

Not rattle can but not a high dollar job either. I got funny looks at the fabric store picking thru the lace though.

Comment

Thanks for all the info.

It's funny that nobody has mentioned the Plasti-Kote brand from the article.
            I don't recall where I've seen Plasti-Kote before, but I think someone local sells it.

And more pictures are always welcome in this thread.

Comment

I've had great luck with the dupli-color that Oreill's sells. Here they have a lacquer that works good and can be cleared over. I'll see if I can find some pics.

Comment

Originally posted by old_chopper View Post
                Not rattle can but not a high dollar job either. I got funny looks at the fabric store picking thru the lace though.
                What did you do, stretch the lace over the tank and shoot the paint through it?
                That's pretty cool.
                [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/Tkent02/VisitedStatesMap-1.jpg[/IMG]

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Exactly. Have to spray lightly thru the lace. A buddy did this for me, it was my wifes Christmas present.

Comment

That is pretty cool. Excellent quality finish and looks beautiful.
                    Definitely for the female riders, though.
                    We men would have to use camo curtains or something. LOL,

Comment

Originally posted by old_chopper View Post
                      Great effect with the lace...
                      '83 GS650G
                      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

We need more PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!
                        [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/Tkent02/VisitedStatesMap-1.jpg[/IMG]

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Rattlecan Duplicolor chameleon, with K2 (or is it 2K?) two part Urethane crystal clear high gloss.

Many hours filling in the tank side emblem mounts, and lots of prep sanding between coats. Allowed to cure four weeks in a warm dry place before the urethane, just to be sure... Urethane over laquer has a bad rapp because most people do not allow the laquer to cure completely.

Wow, I need to take some new pictures, the bike has changed a lot since these were taken.
                          Last edited by Guest; 04-19-2012, 10:05 PM.

Comment

More recent, taken 4/19/12 with my Droid...

Comment

Originally posted by keman View Post

Many hours filling in the tank side emblem mounts, and lots of prep sanding between coats. Allowed to cure four weeks in a warm dry place before the urethane, just to be sure... Urethane over laquer has a bad rapp because most people do not allow the laquer to cure completely.
                              Thank you,this is the plan for doing the paint on the 78 1000.Always nice to have confirmation you are on the right track.

Comment

Fifteen years ago, I had a car body shop load my choice of brand into spray cans for me. I was working on an '83 850G at the time. Sorry, no pictures, It was before digital photography.

Comment

Working...
                                X