No announcement yet.

Cheap paint jobs. Pics please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where does one find "clear urethane" spray paint? Does that come in a rattle can? Or is this something that has to be mixed and gunned on?

OH, and just so I'm contributing...

Rattle-can:

This is what I started with....

Comment

Originally posted by old_chopper View Post
      Not rattle can but not a high dollar job either. I got funny looks at the fabric store picking thru the lace though.
      I love your lace job. Really really nice. Really old skool made new.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyMotor View Post
        Where does one find "clear urethane" spray paint? Does that come in a rattle can? Or is this something that has to be mixed and gunned on?
        The stuff I used was a two part in a single rattlecan. It has a valve in the bottom of the can that releases the catalyst.

Comment

Originally posted by keman View Post
          The stuff I used was a two part in a single rattlecan. It has a valve in the bottom of the can that releases the catalyst.
          Whered you purchase? Is it safe to use on any type of paint? Laquer/enamel/acrylic?

Comment

Whered you purchase? Is it safe to use on any type of paint? Laquer/enamel/acrylic?
            And roughly what does it cost? What's it called? Any pictures?

Comment

Most of you already know of these, but for those who may not.
              They can prevent a lot of finger cramps and also provide a much better spray motion.

Comment

Originally posted by ValorSolo View Post
                And roughly what does it cost? What's it called? Any pictures?
                Bought it at an auto body paint store, "Wesco " It's either 2K or K2 something like that, it was about $30 US a can, if I remember correctly.

As for what it is safe to shoot over.... I know it did ok with Laquer, but some people say it is not good for that. I think letting the laquer cure completely first is a good idea.

It is very fuel resistant, that's why I used it. As we know from trial and error, laquer has no resistance to fuel...

Read the can fully, and follow the instructians, once you pop the catelyst, it has a very short shelf life.

Comment

Thanks. I'll look into it.

Comment

Here's a link to one brand...

http://www.repaintsupply.com/pd_2_part_2k_aerosol.cfm
                    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Originally posted by Sci85 View Post
                      Wow, thanks.
                      $17 a can sounds pretty cheap.
                      They claim it adheres to lacquer and enamel very well.

Comment

I just did a quick search and found that VHT and RUSTOLEUM engine paint are gas resistant... if you let them cure 100% (normally 7 days after painting). Even minor swirlling or staining from a large spill left for over 3 minutes can be easilly buffed out with meguires touch-up detailing spray.

I think I'm going this route with my bike. I know from experience that the Dupli-Color engine paint will hold up to small spill.. but if you EVER get carb cleaner on it... it melts off instantly.

Comment

I just did a quick search and found that VHT and RUSTOLEUM engine paint are gas resistant... if you let them cure 100% (normally 7 days after painting). Even minor swirlling or staining from a large spill left for over 3 minutes can be easilly buffed out with meguires touch-up detailing spray.

I think I'm going this route with my bike. I know from experience that the Dupli-Color engine paint will hold up to small spill.. but if you EVER get carb cleaner on it... it melts off instantly.

There's a difference between gas resistant and gas proof.
                          Having spent many many hours straightening out a tank that was full of bondo (my first GS project) and getting it perfect before painting, then many more hours learning how to make the paint look good and sanding it off and starting over etc, only to have it stained, bubbled stripped, etc after some gas hit it,
                          I won't ever not use a 2part clear on the tank again. I don't care what "the can says..."

Comment

I was looking at this paint when picking out colors, it looks even better than I thought it would. Its expensive here though.

Rattlecan Duplicolor chameleon, with K2 (or is it 2K?) two part Urethane crystal clear high gloss.

Many hours filling in the tank side emblem mounts, and lots of prep sanding between coats. Allowed to cure four weeks in a warm dry place before the urethane, just to be sure... Urethane over laquer has a bad rapp because most people do not allow the laquer to cure completely.

Wow, I need to take some new pictures, the bike has changed a lot since these were taken.

Comment

DupliColor Acrylic Laquer from Advance. I'm done for less than $60 inlcuding sandpaper and bondo. I hope it holds up to gas...

1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
                              1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
                              1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
                              Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

[SIZE=4]I know -[I]JUST[/I]- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

[/SIZE]

Comment

Word of experience... Duplicolor laquer does NOT hold up to gas spills. If you want your new paint to last, you need to top coat with a urethane. I used 2K. Crystal clear glamour high gloss after letting the laquer cure .

Comment

Working...
                                X