No announcement yet.

Cheap paint jobs. Pics please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

evdirtbiker, that's an excellent job. I agree with keman, though. Extra coats of urethane just to be safe.
    Post us a couple shots of the whole bike, so we can see the paint from different views.

Comment

If you notice the top photo in my post with three pics, the tank has the urethane and the front fender does not. The difference in gloss is night and day . It all has the urethane now, (note the bottom pic of the fender with urethane). I did not have to do much buffing, one quick buff out by hand with scratch x and a coat of syn wax.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-23-2012, 11:09 PM.

Comment

As usual, you guys know alot more than me...
        and I already dribbled, put 2 drop-sized stains in the paint. not a huge problem as I have recently become bored with making it "pretty" and just want it to "go". "fast".

More details:
        1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
        1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
        1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
        Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

[SIZE=4]I know -[I]JUST[/I]- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by keman View Post
          Word of experience... Duplicolor laquer does NOT hold up to gas spills. If you want your new paint to last, you need to top coat with a urethane. I used 2K. Crystal clear glamour high gloss after letting the laquer cure .
          Urethane clear can go on top of lacquer color? I read somewhere that one could go over the other but not the other way around. Anyone know for sure? BTW mines a rattlecan job. I need to redo the tank because I put the wrong clear over top (looks like crinkly saran wrap) but can't remember what the paint is *smacking head*

Comment

what is over at Duplicolor's web site

Can Enamels be used over lacquers?
            Yes. Dupli-Color® enamels can be sprayed over lacquer substrates, or any other painted surface that has been sanded smooth and clean of dirt, grease, and dust.

Can Lacquers be used over enamels?
            Lacquers have a tendency to lift enamel surfaces. Lacquers will work over most fully cured enamels that have good film integrity. Test carefully in an inconspicuous area before proceeding.

Comment

I would do my base coats with lacquer then use an urethane clear coat.

Comment

Originally posted by cableguy View Post
                Urethane clear can go on top of lacquer color? I read somewhere that one could go over the other but not the other way around. Anyone know for sure? BTW mines a rattlecan job. I need to redo the tank because I put the wrong clear over top (looks like crinkly saran wrap) but can't remember what the paint is *smacking head*
                2k can go over laq. most of the rattle can paint jobs on here are done that way.

Comment

Here is what I did on my old kawasaki. I did it all on rattle can then went over it with 2k clear coat. Worked very well.

Comment

Originally posted by bakirkwold View Post
                    .... went over it with 2k clear coat. Worked very well.
                    Where can I get that stuff? Autozone and Advance never heard of it.
                    and what should I used to remove the 2 coats of Meguiar's NXT wax ?
                    1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
                    1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!

[/SIZE]

Comment

your local auto paint store, or the internet

Comment

keman, is 2K what you coated your front fork with? i did my with regular rattle can (dont remember the bran anymore) 3 coats of each, and by the end of the season, there was a ton of rock chips :-(

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy_Russian View Post
                          keman, is 2K what you coated your front fork with? i did my with regular rattle can (dont remember the bran anymore) 3 coats of each, and by the end of the season, there was a ton of rock chips :-(
                          Used the 2k over everything.

Comment

[QUOTE=cableguy;1633230]Urethane clear can go on top of lacquer color? I read somewhere that one could go over the other but not the other way around. Anyone know for sure? ...QUOTE]

What I have learned the hard way....
                            DupliColor is unacceptable for a gas tank. But looks awsome.
                            Enamel covers anything. enamel washes off with gas.
                            urethane covers anything. 2 part urethane is gas-resistant.
                            lacquer will {ruin} anything but lacquer or "primer sealer". lacquer melts at the sight of gas.
                            all primers should be considered "enamel" until proven otherwise. use "primer sealer" under lacquer.
                            bondo-in-a-tube, aka "spot glaze" ( the squeeze and spread kind, not the mix with hardener kind) is also known as "lacquer putty". see rules above.

Probably a repeat of others' thoughts... it might all be here on GSR, but it bears repeating.
                            Last edited by exdirtbiker; 04-25-2012, 10:28 PM.

[/SIZE]

Comment

OK you slackers, we need more pictures. I know there are a lot more rattle can jobs than this.
                              Let's see them.
                              [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/Tkent02/VisitedStatesMap-1.jpg[/IMG]

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyMotor View Post
                                Where does one find "clear urethane" spray paint? Does that come in a rattle can? Or is this something that has to be mixed and gunned on?

OH, and just so I'm contributing...

Rattle-can:

This is what I started with....

wow great job on that old mt250 i miss mine i loved that bike when i was a kid i ran the hell out of 2 of em lol, i put a cr250m motor on it with a mt top end, then after abuse got rid of it lol

Comment

Working...
                                X