Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
    what is over at Duplicolor's web site

Thanks!! Copied, pasted, and posted for future reference!

Comment

Question. Enamel is the type of paint that cant really be wet sanded and buffed back because it dries like a shell or candy coating...right? Lacquer on the other hand is the same all the way through... there is no shell on the paint its simply the same composition from top to base... right?

Comment

Originally posted by DannyMotor View Post
        Question. Enamel is the type of paint that cant really be wet sanded and buffed back because it dries like a shell or candy coating...right? Lacquer on the other hand is the same all the way through... there is no shell on the paint its simply the same composition from top to base... right?
        You can if you don't sand through the clear layer.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Look's great. I like the old hammer heads on the rear; how do they work off-road?
          Niels

Comment

Danny,
            Google up "Spray-Max". It's a 2K urethane in a rattle can. Made in Germany but is distributed in the US. I'm going to use it on my tank and probably everything else. The product has a can within the can that you puncture when you are ready to use it. They claim 24hr. working time which sounds optomistic. But 12hrs. would give you plenty of time to double coat everything. With the extended working time I would expect a longer cure time but I can live with that. Others have complained about the $20/can price but I'd like for them to show me where you can buy all the materials, reducer and cleaning solvent for your gun for $20. All reports I've seen say it's impervious to ethanol blended gas.
            Niels

Comment

Thanks Neils!

Comment

Well I've searched every hardware and auto parts stores around and no lacquers in any colors other than black, white and clear.
                Not much showing on eBay, either. Other than 3 oz cans of Testors model paint.

Comment

You don't need no stinking laquer.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    You don't need no stinking laquer.
                    Lacquer and 2k urethane seem to be the preferred method of this thread.
                    What would you recommend? Enamel and then 2k on top?
                    If it works just as well, it sure would make finding the right colors easier.

Comment

Originally posted by ValorSolo View Post
                      Lacquer and 2k urethane seem to be the preferred method of this thread.
                      What would you recommend? Enamel and then 2k on top?
                      If it works just as well, it sure would make finding the right colors easier.
                      Works fine, enamel is what my rattle can jobs in the first few posts in this thread were. Cheap spray can laquer is hard to find anymore.

Comment

Good to know. That's what I'll do then, use enamel and 2k. Thanks.

Comment

I just did my fender last night. Engine enamal gold $8. Black gloss enamel $7. Clear enamal $7. 3 coats of each with heat gun between each coat. Last clear coat was very heavy. Took about 45 mins total. I can add a better picture later. This was with my phone.

Last edited by Guest; 05-01-2012, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ValorSolo View Post
                            Well I've searched every hardware and auto parts stores around and no lacquers in any colors other than black, white and clear.
                            Not much showing on eBay, either. Other than 3 oz cans of Testors model paint.
                            Autozone and Advance auto ( here in NJ ) have a 4 foot wide rack with about 75 colors each. But most are boring or dark. Very few metallics. the red I used was the brightest thing they had on the shelf, but when I went back for more they were out... so they ordered one more. took only 6 hours to get it in my hands.
                            If I knew they could order anything Duplicolor makes, I would gone with Metallic Gold ( new Mustang color).
                            1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
                            1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
                            1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
                            Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Comment

Originally posted by Duece View Post
                              I just did my fender last night. Engine enamal gold $8. Black gloss enamel $7. Clear enamal $7. 3 coats of each with heat gun between each coat. Last clear coat was very heavy. Took about 45 mins total. I can add a better picture later. This was with my phone.

Looks nice ! Just don't let any gas drips on it, or you're gonna be cryin'
                              1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
                              1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
                              1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
                              Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Comment

Originally posted by exdirtbiker View Post
                                Looks nice ! Just don't let any gas drips on it, or you're gonna be cryin'
                                A quick shot of 2K clear and you are golden. I'd like to see the whole bike.

Comment

Working...
                                X