1980 gs850 G/L Hybrid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 gs850 G/L Hybrid

Not as modified as my gs750 cafe racer, but quite modified. Originally I purchased this as an L and added things from the G model that I needed, like a huge G tank. Had to do quite abit of mods to get the tank to fit and mount. This moved the seat back which required some mods.

Tried to use as many extra parts that I had laying around as possible. Purchase the original "L" , which was in rough shape, for $350.

Took alot of time and problem solving with all your help, to get it up and running right.

This is presently my commuter/longer trip bike.

Modifications:
    1. G triple tree.
    2. G tank
    3. Gs750 handlebars
    4. gs 750 side covers
    5. CB900 highway bars
    6. CB550 luggage rack
    7. Vetter Quicksilver fairing
    8. Ebay gaiters
    9. Samsonite saddlebags
    10. Ebay trunk
    11. Tank and side overs Paint... Black enamel with metallic flake clear coat.
    12. Painted the engine and carbs.

Thanks a million,

Scudder
    Last edited by Guest; 04-19-2012, 01:50 PM.

Nice job, sure don't look like a $350 bike any more.
    There are always threads popping up on tank interchangability, guys wanting to use G tanks for better range, maybe, if you felt so inclined, you could give us a walk through/tutorial on the tank swap out with some pics and measurments.
    I am sure a bunch of members would appriciate it.

Comment

Thanks. The next time I have the tank off, I'll get some photos of what was cut and then what was added to make the G tank work on an L frame. Really wasn't that difficult, just a little scary when I started cutting the mounting ears. Kind of a point of no return feeling.

Scudder

Comment

That is some nice work there. A nice aftermarket pipe would lighten up the load some and make it sound cool to boot lol.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Nice job, the side covers look a little out of place, maybe a set of 750 ones...the triangle shape, would fit in there nicely.
          this style

Comment

I know. I am in the process of finding some side overs that fit and look better. I zip tied the gs750 side cover and they'll have to do for now. Thanks for the suggestion. Would a gs850g side cover fit the gs850L? In second thought I guess anything will work if I zip tie'em.

scudder

Comment

Working...
            X