Attacked the Suzuki with spray paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attacked the Suzuki with spray paint

So the faded scratched chipping 33 y/o paint on my 550 was bothering me, and due to the Camaro seeming to have regained financial interest once again, I opted for a cheapo paint job. Was at carquest and they had some pretty spendy stuff by PlastiKote, an automotive spray paint, factory colors and such. Grabbed some primer, clear, and Gm Victory Red, about $30 total for 1 of each, most expensive bomb cans I've ever bought Anywho I think it came out looking ok, in a week or so I'll hit it with the buffer and see what it ends up looking like. It does look miles better than what was on there, that's for sure. And I'm not sure about how it'll handle gasoline, won't break my heart though if it has a fit with the stuff.

Sorry about the crappy cell pics and glare, I need to invest in a decent camera someday

Looks great! Gas will attack it for sure.
    Before the fuel eats it, go with the 2K urethane clear.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks! I've been looking everywhere for that stuff locally, think I'll just order some online and try it out. My other idea was to just drop the tank off at a body shop and ask them to clear coat it, shouldn't be that expensive.

Comment

They sell it at automotive paint supply houses. Either way will work.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

WHERE did you get that seat from?! I want something just like it for my 83 750E!

Comment

Its something I made, just some sheetmetal on the stock pan, and I had it wrapped in vinyl. I actually dont like it, haha

Comment

Looks bloody nice, well done, I like it a lot.
              Like Tom says, get some 2K clear on there, otherwise it is going to be spoiled with the first gas you put in, that would be a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                Thanks! I've been looking everywhere for that stuff locally, think I'll just order some online and try it out. My other idea was to just drop the tank off at a body shop and ask them to clear coat it, shouldn't be that expensive.
                I think that would be a good idea because they're always using that stuff and for a chat up and the cost of a beer I'm sure you'd get it done with a bit of left over.
                sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

2k Clear - EBAY (or Amazon)
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Nice bike!

Is that license plate holder custom, or can you buy that somewhere? I would like to move mine so I can hack off the rear end.

Comment

Nothing to it, just a piece of scrap flat bar heated and bent in an "L"model shape, holes drilled for plate, attached to the upper shock stud. The frame is an LED lit one I bought off ebay for cheap.

Comment

hard to believe thats rattle cans....looks great...your bike reminds me of a pit bull...stocky, muscluar and ready to do battle

Comment

Nothing to it, just a piece of scrap flat bar heated and bent in an "L"model shape, holes drilled for plate, attached to the upper shock stud. The frame is an LED lit one I bought off ebay for cheap.
                          Nice. I have zero welding/bending experience. Would you be interested in making me one and I buy it from you?

Comment

Do you have a vice? If you do, just clamp it where you want the bend, and beat it over with a hammer, I just used a propane torch to make it easier since I don't have a vice. Aluminum bar works good too, probably just bend it with pliers or something since it's so soft.

And thanks for the compliments everyone!

Comment

Do you have a vice? If you do, just clamp it where you want the bend, and beat it over with a hammer, I just used a propane torch to make it easier since I don't have a vice. Aluminum bar works good too, probably just bend it with pliers or something since it's so soft.

And thanks for the compliments everyone!
                              Yeah, I was thinking I can use my hand torch and heat it up and try to bend it. I assume you just drill two holes with a drill bit and mount the license plate holder?

Comment

Working...
                              X