X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LEGO isn't just for kids

This is a sidecover restoration thread.

Here is issue number one.

I am a big fan of fixing ABS with ABS and LEGO just happens to be ABS so...

Blub blub blub...

Poof!!! Hole is gone!

Issue number two...

Made a mold out of a good peg.

I forgot to get a pic of the peg before I installed it. It was JB weld on a bolt.

Comment

Yeah .....but that black bit of Lego....it was the keystone piece to the 1978 Millennium Falcon side pod, the collector's special limited edition model. Sacrilege.

Nice bit of work.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

The final issue/fix isn't even dry yet. Here it is.

The problem.

And the solution.

Its actually quite rigid...

Comment

"Dad!? Where are my LEGO??"

Comment

Nice work on that hanger clip.

I had one of those and JB Welded a piece of paperclip across to bridge the "loop." That LEGO trick is better, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
              Yeah .....but that black bit of Lego....it was the keystone piece to the 1978 Millennium Falcon side pod, the collector's special limited edition model. Sacrilege.

Nice bit of work.
              Its true! And I used, like, three of them!!!

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
              Nice work on that hanger clip.

I had one of those and JB Welded a piece of paperclip across to bridge the "loop." That LEGO trick is better, I think.
              Thanks, there were many ideas going through my head. I kinda like the idea that parts of a motorcycle are being held together with LEGO.

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
                I kinda like the idea that parts of a motorcycle are being held together with LEGO.
                Why not? There are decals available for GoldWings that say "Body by Tupperware".

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Highway_Glider
                  Hi Adler.

Good work sanding that cover.

It took me a while but I decided that you "Acetone" melted that Lego in a "Tea light" aluminium underpants.

DP
                  Good eye, that's exactly what it is! Found it was the perfect size.

Comment

Originally posted by Highway_Glider
                    My own slury was done using an ABS elbow from the store. Cost a litle over a dollar.

It's getting steadily ticker as it evaporate. Not a good seal on those dollar store jars.

DP
                    I should get one of those jars and keep a supply of slurry. I always find myself mixing up a batch and its annoying to wait for it to melt.

Comment

Surely there must be a cheaper source of ABS than LEGO?? Top work though - excellent.

There is a guy who goes around fixing crumbling buildings in Italy with Lego. Really.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyR View Post
                        Surely there must be a cheaper source of ABS than LEGO?? Top work though - excellent.

There is a guy who goes around fixing crumbling buildings in Italy with Lego. Really.
                        I was more interested in readily available than cheap. No doubt there are cheaper sources.

Comment

Adler wandering through the house barefoot in the middle of the night:

"OW!! SONOFBITCH!! F&^K ME SIDEWAYS!!! MY G*&&AMN FOOT!!"

"Oh hey, I can tighten up that side-panel now. Sweet!"

Comment

An interesting choice for ABS repair. Looks like it works fine. I've always used 2-part epoxy for repairs. Dries quick, super strong, easy to sand.
                            1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
                              An interesting choice for ABS repair. Looks like it works fine. I've always used 2-part epoxy for repairs. Dries quick, super strong, easy to sand.
                              So far I've found that nothing sticks to ABS like ABS.

EDIT: How much sanding is necessary before I paint this thing? Do I really need to take ALL the paint off??!

Comment

Working...
                              X