Cloning Sidecovers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cloning Sidecovers

Anyone try making a sidecover with fiberglass, using an existing one to create a mold?

Seems doable, but then . . .

I've done it with the fiberglass over foam method. Made a fair reverse copy in pink foam and glassed it with epoxy/fiberglass cloth.

I've also done by drape moulding 3mm ABS plastic sheet over a wooden "buck". Again create a fair reverse copy from MDS or wood of choice. Undersize it by 3 to 6 mm but make sure it is the same depth as the original. Heat the plastic sheet in an oven until it starts to droop and quickly place it over the buck. Use a heat gun or hairdryer to keep the plastic soft so it "drapes over the mould" and use popsicle sticks or tongue depressers to help the plastic curve over edges and creases. This method works best with cirved edges so anything sharp will be difficult to form.

This method can be made much better if you are able to make a vacuum table and vacuum form it, i.e the pull of the vacuum and air pressure makes the plastic mould to the buck. This is how they are originally made. A bit more work but doable for the home tinkerer.

Fglass is easiest perhaps.

Good luck with it.
    Spyug
    Last edited by Guest; 06-15-2012, 03:01 PM.

Comment

I think there is a "how to" about that very thing on Basscliff's site. terrylee

Comment

Originally posted by terrylee View Post
        I think there is a "how to" about that very thing on Basscliff's site. terrylee

here is the link, BUT I think with what you made already you WAY on your way to make a custome one by hand.... Rob

Comment

I had my brother make a set of side covers for a 83 750 e , a couple years ago. He made a mold out of clay over a good set of side covers that I had then made a glass set for the bike we needed them for . came out good just a bit heavier though.
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Working...
          X