Aluminum Clearcoating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aluminum Clearcoating

I am in the middle of restoring my bike, and I want to re-polish the engine side covers. I have access to all the materials I need except for the clearcoat. What kind should I use or is there a better product I can use?

Josh

Think Marine grade urethane clearcoat!!!!
    Dink

Comment

I wouldn't bother clearcoating. The aluminum will eventually oxidize under the clearcoat and you'll have to clean it off to polish again. Once aluminum is polished the bare metal is simple enough to keep shiny with an occasional buffing.

Comment

I think I used a high-temp Duracolor clear coat with ceramic. I only clear-coated one side before it was too cold to paint, so I left the bare side exposed all winter. Now it has some stains and such. I would definitely recommend doing some kind of clear coat.

Michael

Comment

how about annodizing ?any color you want including clear. Mark

Comment

i've polished quite a bit on both of my bikes. wheels, engine cases, bars, custom foot brackets and side covers , front and rear master cylinders, yada yada yada ---- yeah- i have too much time on my hands- i've never clearcoated any of it. the polished parts on the hawk are about 3 yrs old . the GS are about 1 yr. i just hand polish it all once in a while with Mothers polish and it still looks great. i have found tho that the newer (?) aluminum (on the hawk) polishes easier and looks shinier than the older aluminum.. (GS)

Comment

Working...
            X