License Plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

License Plates

As a student living in Arizona, I have two choices for registering my motorcycle. It is currently registered in Minnesota, and I can keep that registration as long as I'm a student. Or I can register it in Arizona. I was hoping you would give me an idea of what license plate you think looks best on my bike.

Here is my bike. Sorry about the grainy picture. It is nighttime.

Here is a slightly blurry picture of the current one.

For comparison, here is just the license plate (someone elses).

Here is the updated Minnesota plate that I could request.

Here is the standard Arizona motorcycle plate.

And here is the Arizona Historic Vehicle plate. I couldn't find the motorcycle one online, but it's the same thing but smaller.

So if you owned my bike, which plate would you put on it?

Both Arizona's are cooler but, as a fellow student, I would do whatever is cheapest.

Comment

I'm thinking either keeping the old MN plate, or going to the historic AZ plate. Obviously, keeping my current plate is cheapest, but I do like the look of the historic plate. The other two look too modern for my old bike. I wish I could get my hands on a historic plate just to see if it would look good on my bike. I wonder if the copper/red colors would clash with the gold and red colors of my bike.

Comment

you will get hassled less by the LPD with local tags on your bike also ........

Comment

That's probably true, but with the number of snowbirds down here, MN plates are almost as close as you can get to local.

It also looks like the historic plates might not need tags on them. They would look really nice without the ugly colored tags.
          Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2012, 05:17 AM.

Comment

They do need tags, but it just the one here in AZ (month and year). I really dig mine and it.s very simple. Just like my bike. $19 bux for a year too.

Comment

Does it look any different from the car version of the license plate? I have yet to see one on a motorcycle.

Comment

Originally posted by bbytes View Post
                I'm thinking either keeping the old MN plate, or going to the historic AZ plate. Obviously, keeping my current plate is cheapest, but I do like the look of the historic plate. The other two look too modern for my old bike. I wish I could get my hands on a historic plate just to see if it would look good on my bike. I wonder if the copper/red colors would clash with the gold and red colors of my bike.

As a student keep your MN plate, because it's cheaper. also, better night time visibilty of your existing MN plate to keep a car from running up your butt especially if your taillight is out, and since you'll probably be moving back to MN in a year or two, it would save any hassle of dealing remotely with AZ for any paperwork if selling or transferring.

Comment

The AZ Historic plate is only $25.

Your other points are quite valid though.

Comment

It's an "L" - does it care?

Sorry, couldn't resist.....

Comment

Are there restrictions on the "historic" plate?

I know that in some places, you can not use it for commuting to work, you can only use it for "pleasure" use, you might be limited to a certain number of miles per year, etc. etc.

Might want to check into that kind of stuff before you switch.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Cheap is good. But the AZs are cooler. How much is vanity worth? Me, I rarely notice my tags. Unless someone asks why I am parked in a handicapped spot. I reply, "Please, look at my tag."

Comment

If AZ doesn't have any restrictions for using the historic plate that's how I would go. It's just too cool to show that you're driving a classic. I waited until Dec. 29th just for my antique Flori-duh plate (that's for you Steve).

The color is light blue which doesn't contrast as well with my bike as your AZ plate would but to me having the plate is the coolest part. Hey, I ride on a 30 yr. old bike and I'm proud of it.
                          Erik

1982 GS550M

Dyna S, Dyna greens, coil relay mod w/LED, Sonic Springs (.90)

Comment

This is the style I have on my bike. I couldnt find any restrictions as to use, they didn't mention it at MVD, and I've been riding it constantly since Nov. This plate is also MUCH thicker and heavier that the standard plate.

Comment

Originally posted by Bookmon View Post
                              Cheap is good. But the AZs are cooler. How much is vanity worth? Me, I rarely notice my tags. Unless someone asks why I am parked in a handicapped spot. I reply, "Please, look at my tag."
                              I am pretty sure that anyone riding an "L" can park in a handicapped spot, regardless of their tags.

Comment

Working...
                              X