handle bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

handle bars

well i cut some 7/8 round tube to make my own drag style bars. i looked at ebay found some straight bars on ebay that i liked and figured why pay 60 bucks when i could cut some tube and bolt it on for less money. I saw bars that were 26 inches long.Once i had it cut and mounted the tube i realised it wasnt going to work. i cut the bars at 26 inches wide and it caused the the mastercylinder to hit the gauges and the bar mounts on the brake line. that was a fail... the first piece of tube i used was 7/8 od .120" wall, i got it free from a weld shop near my work. the guy at weld shop said he could get me another 4ft section for $5. i am wondering should i try to get more tube and make them wider or just buy a set of bars? what bars have a low profile while being comfortable? all help and opinions is appreciated

Buy the bars, you'll be happier in the end.
    If you cut your own, you have to paint them or chrome them, if you spray bomb them without proper prep the paint won't last, if you have them chromed it'll end up costing more than the purchase price.
    Buy the bars, you'll be happier in the end.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

i just realised they had something called rear set to move your shift and brake asembly. if i go with lower bars where can i find a set for my 81 gs450l? what bars are low and comfortable?

Comment

Drag bars still have bends in them. Check out bikemaster. Chrome is $20 Black is $22

Comment

Parts n More has very reasonable bars,20-30 dollar range, check em out ,they have other items way less than most places also.Worth looking into i think.

have to do some searching tho, as many parts are in different catagories,as long as they are 7/8" it doesnt matter tho i guess.

Comment

I got my drag bars from Bike Bandit for $22 or so. I think they are 28" wide maybe? They just barely work, the brake reservoir is touching the tach and the clutch cable was hitting the speedo. I had to re-route the clutch cable through the right side of the bike, in front of the guages, and under the ignition to make it all fit. You will also have to drill a small hole in the bottom of the handlebars for the throttle. Well worth the $20 bill vs. making it yourself.

Comment

Or if u can access a welder you can make your own?I built these to take pressure off my shoulders and elbows as they are in very bad shape, but i refuse to quit riding.

they are a little wide and the resrvoir interferes a tad but no biggie for me.

Buying bars for 20 bux or so is cheaper and easier than welding,any bone yards in your area?put an addy on cracklist maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by 81gs450l View Post
                ... what bars have a low profile while being comfortable?
                In my opinion, that combination does NOT exist.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sounds like what you have in mind is a "broomstick" bar - no bends at all. Not too comfortable, and it explains the cable interference. Clutch cable would be a problem (can be solved with the use of a GS500 clutch mount and lever, which angles the cable away from the bar).

I agree with the others that a drag bar would be better - and available for less than $20. Actually, you can get all kinds of bars for less than $20.

If your brake line interferes with your gauges, you can try bending the gauge mounts, lowering the gauges, or using different gauges. You could also use a different master cylinder, but new ones cost $70-80 (from Mike's XS). You could also buy or make set-back handlebar clamps.

Rearset foot controls are designed to move your feet back and up for a more balanced rising position and more cornering clearance, but they are pretty expensive - $300 and more, unless you can make them yourself, so if you aren't willing to spend $20 on handlebars, you won't like that option. Also, I haven't heard of any for the 450L (unless the frame is similar to the 450S). You could get a set of Universal Tarozzi rearsets for about $200 (from eBay and fastfromthepast.com), but you'd have to fab the mounting plates and linkages.

Anyhow, good luck.

Comment

i am gonna start looking at bars this weekend. i just thought it would be fun to see how many parts i could make for this bike on my own. I am trying to make my 81 450l to not look like an l model. i have plans to make my own seat with a small storage space for tools and paperwork, while looking semi cafe. I am going to read up on working with fiberglass. then it will be onto bodywork and riding it. thanks again for everyones help with my 1st bike. i already have 2nd gs in the works but i cant move it from california to colrado til i get my wife a house

Comment

Hm let me see?Wife?House?Bike?Something seems to be blocking you.get rid of 2 u get to ride,get rid of 1 u have the making of a family.WHy can't they all just get along?hahahahahahah.

Comment

i told the wife i would give her the 450 l and build it anyway she wants. she just gave me the look as i backed away slowly. lol. i just want a garage to work in. we are apartment dwellers for now. The other gs is a 1983 gs750es my dad bought from the first owner in 1999 with only 800 miles on it. The guy took it apart to do put a pipe on it then left it sitting next to 20 other bikes. my dad and i put it in a uhaul and hauled it home. now its at 15,000 miles and is running a turbo. My dad said he can't ride it cause of back issues and is on a honda cruiser now. i was told the 750 is mine if i come pick it up. hmmm 450l or 750 with a turbo. not a hard decision. i plan on cleaning up both bikes and using the 450 daily and the 750 on the weekends since it runs on 110 and gas isnt cheap

Comment

I bet once u get her on her own bike(if she enjoys riding with you) she will love to ride her own,that is the way to do it i think.After doing the seat n bars on the 1150/1100,my back doesn't hurt and shoulders ort elbows either.Great thing fabrication is eh?And that backrest i built goes on n off in a few seconds.Makes the wife more comfy and makes me feel safer for her.
                          As for the previouse i just tryin to make a funny.Some find it that way, Mine loves riding.just hate me workin on it all the time.hehe

Comment

Working...
                          X