Headlight Replacement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight Replacement.

I recently dumped my GS550E while going around a turn at about 40 mph. I'm a new rider and my uncle just gave me the bike as a graduation present. I did a very small amount of damage, but I did however beat up the headlight assembly pretty good. While looking for a replacement for this specific model, I realized how hard it is to find the part. My question is, can I get a whole assembly from a similar GS with a round headlight to replace it? I currently have a bulb from a 1942 Jeep Willy's that just happened to fit perfectly as a temporary so I could get home from work that night. The assembly from the 1000E looks very similar in design to mine. Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Welcome to the site. What year is your E (they made several)? If it's one with the round headlight (77-80) than yea you can get any of them; newer ones might be out of place. You may have to adjust the ears but any should work (I grabbed one from an 850L for mine) just fine. I'd start with any L model first from the late 70s to early 80s. Course some folks find even nicer ones from other manufacturers too; just depends on how much fabricating you want to do.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Woops, forgot to say it's an '80. Round headlight, 7" diameter. As little modification as possible would be ideal. Sounds good though, makes shopping a little easier. Any recommendations on where to buy from?

Comment

Here are two sites I bookmarked that work well as a parts compatibility look-up.

Go to this site and look up the part you are after on your year and model of bike. Copy the part number.
        Open up this site, and under brand enter Suzuki, and under 'Part:' enter your part number.
        Under search results you will see 'where used' with a link to 'select model' underneath it.
        Clicking on that link will give you a list of all the other GSes that share that same part.

I have found many parts on ebay listed as being for other GSes, that I wouldn't have found, or would have been more expensive if I searched under my year and model.

A quick search shows me that your same entire headlight assembly was also used on 77-80 550Es as mentioned by cowboyup, and also the 79 850G.

That being said, pretty much any round GS headlight assembly can be made to fit.

But at least now you will have a way to cross reference parts from other models.

Tank

Comment

Awesome, thanks a lot.

Comment

Actually, a side-mount " bucket from any bike will bolt right on. Mike's XS sells them new, and many are available from eBay sellers.

Comment

Working...
            X