Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning discoloration

Any idea how to get the black off the cover:

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UADxArwX7MOo*Q5ALVOQJ7ZnfWnnGoTPrgpioUcarh59qgBS9 fz6qyW9INxuTRWdqjLn!q3GqlTGYJPsuddQXNFdPL0Jn9lRPv6 HUYuzRaU1FM2NSrzHh3SC5CcAcOQn/Picture%20003.jpg?dc=4675463171976072250[/img]

And the gold off the shocks?

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UAAAAMAX9MSo*Q5ALVOQJ7wesfJ6VB8SlVap1flvySWDpwMnp cyCBqqDRC9u6qUb37xk3c5ih3!XQGIauX1t0QvHGYFfg8HgOFf kJg86Owg16pUqxqippwAAAAAAAAAA/Picture%20007.jpg?dc=4675463171986337222[/img]

colors off

i am in the process of restoring a 791000L,and from my own experience and the points cover can be sanded or wire brushedto the metal and then polished with a polish wheel on a bench grinder or drill. if sanding i would use a 320 grit to start and probably wet sand. that helps keep deep scratches from happening then polish with compouund and wheel.from your pics it looks like you got a lotta work to do

good luck
    ron

Comment

As vice president in charge of parts processing and procurement at the shop I work at.(ha ha) I would suggest a good wire wheeling to the shocks, and paint stripper for the cover. You can get it at any hardware store or autoparts stores. Then you can buff the cover. This way you don't have to worry about taking to much off. The shocks may need re-chroming. Depends on how bad the rust is.

Josh

Comment

Are we sure it's rust? It isn't rough to the feel at all. It's just gold now. It's like the blueing on exhaust pipes except it's gold.

Comment

Will the paint stripper harm the powder coating on the cover?

Comment

Mike what powder coating would that be? the covers were originally laquered from the factory and by appearences is already long gone on your bike, so clean em up polish them up and clearcoat them.
            Dink

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Zip-Strip or any other stripper with methylene chloride. Be sure to get resistant gloves (latex and blue nitrile are N/G).

Comment

I used Never-Dull and steelwool on my springs, then a few coats of metal polish.

Comment

Working...
                  X