Look what came in the mail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look what came in the mail

My question is my bike is red, and the side cover I just bought is black. It needs painted either way. There is no way I'm going to be able to paint it myself and match the color to the existing bike. Any ideas? Anyone used a chrome paint before out of a rattle can? Is doing black better than a mismatched red? any ideas would be great.

Make both sides black?

1978 GS1000C
    1979 GS1000E
    1980 GS1000E
    2004 Roadstar

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
      Make both sides black?
      No need - you can only see one side at a time....
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Any "chrome" paint that I have seen in a rattlecan is just silver.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

What's the rest of the paint like? Why not do the whole bike?

Comment

I'd go black with both sides, or go to napa and see if they can match the paint to your bike.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
              What's the rest of the paint like? Why not do the whole bike?
              This, no brainer.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

No idea of cost, but I saw something on TV recently where some guys worked out a way to chrome plate anything. Maybe if you google chromeplating plastic something will come up? You would need an incredibly perfect surface I would imagine.

I quite like what Honda did here:

Fenders are chrome, tank is a beautiful deep candy red, and side panels are plastic finished in a matt alloy finish. I have sat on a bike exactly like this and it is very attractive!

Comment

It's not cheap, but this stuff: http://www.alsacorp.com/products/kil...llerchrome.htm is great. I've used it before (but not out of the spray can) and it's awesome.

Comment

get something to match the frame colour... then paint them the same. failing which, go to a car body shop, give them the good red sidecover and ask them to match it on the other. simple. all the faffing around buying this, that and the next thing, let alone the time taken, it would have been easier, quicker, more professional looking to hand it over to someone in the first instance... imo

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyR View Post
                      No idea of cost, but I saw something on TV recently where some guys worked out a way to chrome plate anything. Maybe if you google chromeplating plastic something will come up? You would need an incredibly perfect surface I would imagine.

I quite like what Honda did here:

Fenders are chrome, tank is a beautiful deep candy red, and side panels are plastic finished in a matt alloy finish. I have sat on a bike exactly like this and it is very attractive!
                      That is an option, I really like the alloy look with the red. Thanks for the pic.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        This, no brainer.
                        I figured you would tell me its a waste of time to paint an "L" anyway...

Comment

I should have said this in the beginning. My father in law is having a hood and front quarter panels off a GTO painted in about a year. While his painter is doing these parts, he said he would paint my side covers and tank the same color as the car for just the extra cost of the paint, which would be minimal. I am just looking for a temporary fix for now. I just dont want it to look horrible until then.

Comment

So do a nice rattle can job for this year

Comment

Chrome paint
                              sigpic
                              Steve
                              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Working...
                              X