Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bar-end mirrors (installation solution by Ryan)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bar-end mirrors (installation solution by Ryan)

Excuse me...could someone tell me exactly how to make these bloody things fit??
    The bar-end mirrors I bought are made to fit 7/8 bars and isn't that what we have on our bikes? I know its not the 1-inch bars cause those are on harleys. So could someone explain as to why these don't go in the hole on the end of my handlebars? If pictures are needed I can post them.
    Damnit, I'm so tired of buying items off of ebay and it not fitting when its listed as damned Suzuki GS750 items!!!

The silver peg that you see in the post below is too big to fit in the hole on our handlebars...even though the advertisement lists our bikes as a type it can fit.

Dm of mD

These are the ones that I bought. The advertisement is as follows.

A New Pair of Black Bar End Mirrors

Fits into the end of any 7/8 handlebar both right or left side. Fully adjustable Keeps handlebars uncluttered & clean looking . Works on 7/8 inch handlebar That come on Norton, Triumph, BSA, Honda, Moto Guzzi, Ducati,Kawasaki,Suzuki,Yamaha. and many other motorcycles that have 7/8 inch handlebars.

Buyer to pay shipping.

We accept Paypal, money order, cashiers check, VISA, Mastercard, Discover and America Express.

If you choose to pay with major credit card please DO NOT email your credit card number. Email is not secure! Provide your phone number in the winning bidder response email so we may call you to complete the transaction. Auctions paid with major credit card must ship to the card holder address on file at the credit card company. No Exceptions!

Any suggestions?

Dm of mD

Comment

If this post is for real, i have the same mirrors on my left end bar, just push the two silver tabs around the nut. if this don't work the nut is too big, as u screw it in the nut goes in to make it tight

Comment

Originally posted by bostrom155
        If this post is for real, i have the same mirrors on my left end bar, just push the two silver tabs around the nut. if this don't work the nut is too big, as u screw it in the nut goes in to make it tight
        Yes this post is for real. I have Renthal bars on my GS750 and the silver tabs won't fit in the hole on the ends of the bars.
        Old paint job and bars

Current paint job and bars

Comment

The silver peg that you see in the post below is too big to fit in the hole on our handlebars
          At risk of asking a stupid question, did you unscrew the bolt through the split wedge (your silver peg) before you tried to insert it? It works as a wedge, and it spreads out as you tighten the bolt. You may have to unscrew it most of the way before the wedge portion will collapse down small enough to go into the bar end. Then as you tighten it, the wedge spreads out and grips the inside walls of the bar and holds things in place. Also, check the end of your bar for a burr sticking inward that may prevent the wedge from fitting in. A few minutes with a rat tail file will clear this up if it is a problem.

Mark

Comment

Thank you for the advice. I have bored out the ends of the bar-holes with my dremel tool and made sure that there are not stoppers further in the bar. Unfortunately the silver-tab thing/expander won't fit in the hole still.
            The nut on the end of the bolt is also too big to fit in the hole.

I'm starting to believe that I was sent the wrong type of mirror. Especially since the seller won't reply back to my emails. Damnable ebay....

I hammered down the expander on one of the mirrors and it fits inside but its so close that there is no way for a nut to go under them to expand when they're inside the bar.
            I can now hammer the assembly into the bar but it would not be seated securely if I did that and if the silver part got stuck inside I'd be screwed.

Do I have any options at this point?

I was thinking of taking the silver tabs off and just using a bit of 9\16 fuel line and a thinner nut/bolt/washer combo and sticking that in there as a replacement.
            When the bolt is twisted it turns on the washer and the nut compresses the fuel line in the bar making it seal itself stable.

:?
            Dm of mD

Comment

How about some rubber plugs with a smaller nut like bar end weights use?

Comment

yep just get ride of the metal expander stuff go buy 2 rubber stoppers drill a hole throught the center of each stopper. then drill/grind a bigger hole the size of the smallest nut you can find that works with the orgianl bolt about 1/4" deep. (the idea is to jam the nut into the bigger hole on the stop so the stopper will hold the nut when you tighten it. then grind down the stopper till it fits inside the handle bar. next use a small nut that fitts the bolt that came with the bar ends put the stopper on put the small nut on and tight enough so that the nut will not spin. insert part a into part b. turn bolt tight it should pinch the stopper tight agianst the inside of the bar and hold it next go for a ride.......

ryan
                78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                82 Kat 1000 Project
                05 CRF450x
                10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

THANKS RYAN!!!
                  Worked like a charm!!!!

You saved the day again!!!

Thanks dude,
                  Dm of mD

Comment

Great idea, Ryan! Where did you come up with it?
                    IBA# 24077
                    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

a little birdy told me joe, it just landed on my sholder and wispered it in my ear.........

let me give credit where credit is do, i learned this trick from a ancient GS Shamen who taught me the ways of the GS....Joe Nardy

ryan
                      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                      82 Kat 1000 Project
                      05 CRF450x
                      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

ANCIENT? Man, I may not be a youngster but I never considered myself ANCIENT! I guess I'll take it in context and consider it as a compliment...........

Joe
                        IBA# 24077
                        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

You two crack me up! That's why it's so much fun wrenching with the Chicago gang in Joe's garage during the winter!

Rock On!
                          Steve 8)

Comment

Working...
                          X