New Luggage Rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Luggage Rack

My wife plans to join me at this year's Dave Davis Memorial Rally based out of Soldiers Grove WI. I'm really looking forward to having her join us but one of her stipulations to attend is that I get a backrest on the GS. The few times she rode the Bandit she was glad to have the top box as a backrest because it made her feel safer.

So, after posting a WTB here, and searching CraigsList and eBay for a few weeks I found this on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/280911222019...84.m1497.l2649

It was pretty dirty and had some surface rust but it cleaned up pretty well. Its not a show piece and I don't think it is particularly pretty but it should serve its purpose.

After cleaning up the rack and getting it mounted I have this

I think I've decided to leave off the backrest part and just mount a cheap top case as the backrest. The backrest that came with the rack is IMHO quite ugly. Also, I really miss having the top case from my Bandit. I used it most of any of the luggage I had.

I have this Nelson Riggs bag that I used on my V-Strom that fits the rack pretty well. Not sure how good it will be as a backrest. We will take a few 2-up test rides and see how she likes it, since that is the most important reason I'm doing this.

What do you think?

The luggage rack is combined with the Cortech saddlebags I scored on the Bandit forum for $50.

Right now the Nelson Rigg bag is held on with zip ties since I don't have any other good way to mount them. Do you think they will hold up? I'm still working on better mounting options.

Anyway, just wanted to share. Interested in your feedback. I think the whole luggage rack is pretty ugly, but its kind of 70s ugly, so maybe it is at least period correct One thing for sure...the whole setup was pretty cheap...much less expensive than any Givi luggage and racks I've bought
    Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
    Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

very nice,

one thing to watch out for is that those bags will rub against the shock springs and wear the paint off. I have the exact same bags.

You can either make a metal deflector that mounts to the upper shock mount, or what I do is takes some rubber shelf material (like what came with the bags) and zip tie it around the shock springs when on a trip.

If my wife was on the back I would use some tissue paper security straps ..................................................

whoops sorry I mean strong straps like thick bunggies and thin motorcycle straps.
    Last edited by posplayr; 07-22-2012, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
      Right now the Nelson Rigg bag is held on with zip ties since I don't have any other good way to mount them.
      Do you think they will hold up? I'm still working on better mounting options.

Interested in your feedback.
      If you use a bunch of the 1/4" heavy duty zip ties that are rated at 150 pounds each,
      I think that you will be just fine.
      Check them periodically for ozone break-down and replace as needed.

Eric

Comment

I should have titled this thread, "Check out the rack on this one!" More people would have looked
        Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Greg, I don't know if have the correct mounting straps for that tail bag, or if they just don't work for this application.
          But if you need the factory straps, Nelson Rigg sells them on their website.
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Not sure how a soft bag can serve as a backrest.
            Current Bikes:
            2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
              Pack it FULL.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Like it. Think it looks pretty good especially with the bag on it. looks to sit a little high without bag. Think it will grow on ya. My 1st 1000 I rode through the 80's had one just like it and it set lower. Loved the way it looked. posting pic if I have Photo-bucket figured out.

Comment

That's better. When I get the hang of if will forget. What was that about short term memory.

Comment

For some reason I can't see the pic you posted and the link doesn't work. Re-post if you can. I'd love to see how it is installed. Mine didn't come with any directions so I just installed it the way I thought made sense.

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                      2x4's, ductape, coat hangers, WD40.
                      Al Jones
                      82 Suzuki GS850GL
                      97 Suzuki TL1000S
                      "Godspeed and may your rubber not fail".
                      Bill Cosby - "A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
                      sigpic

___ -\
                      (O)--(O)

Comment

Will try this again. Hope this helps, Only have two photos of bike. Guess was too busy riding to take pictures. IFRC rack mounted to shock mounts and turn signal mounts.

Comment

Nice looking bike there. And that sure is the same rack. I think you are right...looks like it sits a lower on yours. I looked at mine and don't see how I can make any adjustments though. It must fit the 1000s and the 750s slightly differently.

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
                            Nice looking bike there. And that sure is the same rack. I think you are right...looks like it sits a lower on yours. I looked at mine and don't see how I can make any adjustments though. It must fit the 1000s and the 750s slightly differently.
                            Thanks, though can't take credit for it, someone else built it. Got lucky when purchased it and made some changes later. That rack had no adjustments that I recall. Been looking for one since purchase of present 1000. Buying a different one with round tubes from forum member. Wanna trade, deal?
                            Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by metalman View Post
                              Wanna trade, deal?
                              Ray.
                              I would have traded before I installed it, but now that its on there its going to stay a while. I'm not in love with it but looks to be a fair platform for some luggage.

Comment

Working...
                              X