metal flake blue from a can.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

metal flake blue from a can.

this one was not easy as the first one i did.

Nice!
    And the link to what you used and how you applied it is?

Eric

Comment

I got the paint from oreillys, auto parts, the 2k from the local auto paint supplier.

Comment

how did you keep the cans that you sprayed from from gumming up and spraying big globs on the paint job like mine?

Comment

luck of the draw on getting a spray can I guess.

Comment

You have to be diligent about keeping the sprayer nozzle cleaned out because they will clog up and start spurting on you. Very annoying.
            Last edited by ddaniels; 07-27-2012, 10:44 AM.
            Current Bikes:
            2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Usually it just splatters for me when I stick my finger in the spray. Also…I just wanted to note how beautiful these tanks look when painted a solid color. They have a very nice shape. I never noticed the nice shape and size of the tank before I owned one as I was too distracted by the ever popular two tone brown paint scheme. I like yours much better!

Comment

no one has notice the custom shaping i did with the bondo.

Comment

I'm not sure what shape the tank was stock so can't comment on the reshaping, but man that colour is great! Love it!

The little bit of aerosol spraying I've done (did my tins with 2 pack and a gun) I haven't had trouble with clogging up, but I've tried to use at least reasonable quality aerosols and have always cleaned the nozzle by holding it upside down and spraying for a few seconds after each coat.

I also do a quick spray on the drop cloth or whatever before starting the next coat.
                  1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                  1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by kdo58 View Post
                    no one has notice the custom shaping i did with the bondo.
                    It was once an "L" tank!

Comment

Now that you mention it, I see it! You not only filled in the space for the emblems, but also filled in by the collar and softened the edges around the gas cap. Nice work!

Comment

did more than that, filled in along the whole bottom edge.

Comment

between tack coats and the gas off cycles, have a cap of laquer thinner handy and pull the nozzle and rinse it out. Blow some air thru it and replace back on the can. Keeps it clean .
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                            between tack coats and the gas off cycles, have a cap of laquer thinner handy and pull the nozzle and rinse it out.
                            Blow some air thru it and replace back on the can. Keeps it clean .
                            Great advice!

Eric

Comment

Working...
                            X