driving lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

driving lights

so I got these lights, cheap and mounted them once on the bike but was not happy with where they were, so I messed around with the mounting bracket and came up with a different spot, still not sure if I like it, but let see what you guys think.

comments are welcome

new position

old position

More important than how they look, can you see any better with them?

What bulbs are in there? You may have to be very careful when and how long you use them, due to charging system limitations at lower engine speeds.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Don't know if I can see any better, I hope so, just have not had them in place long enough to aim them and try it out

I believe they are 55 watt bulbs, more or less the same as the headlight

Comment

With the extra 110 watts, you will want to be sure to turn them off as the engine speed comes down and the stator is not 'pumping' as hard.

You have them wired in to be on only with the high beam or are then on a switch that allows you to turn them on whenever you want?

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

They are on a switch, so I have control as to when they will be on or off

I would like to actually find some smaller ones, and preferably LED ones, these were cheap so I picked them up, plus I like the blue they have, so that will be kool, maybe not legal, but cool.....LOL

Comment

They might look tighter if rotated 90 degrees, so the cat-eyes are sideways.

v0v

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              More important than how they look, can you see any better with them?
              Also of importance is can he BE SEEN any better with them. I've noticed that bikes that have running lights mounted lower than the headlight, like GK here, are much more visible when coming towards your. The triangle of lights registers with your brain faster that it is a motorcycle. This is doubly true on rainy and overcast days.

They look good, and as long as you don't blow up the charging system, keep em!

Comment

Driving light are nice to have, for sure. I think the only thing I would do is paint them black so they blend into the frame and engine.
                1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
                  They might look tighter if rotated 90 degrees, so the cat-eyes are sideways.

v0v
                  I don't think I can rotate them like that, it will throw the light patter off, but I will see, once I have them hooked up..

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post
                  Also of importance is can he BE SEEN any better with them. I've noticed that bikes that have running lights mounted lower than the headlight, like GK here, are much more visible when coming towards your. The triangle of lights registers with your brain faster that it is a motorcycle. This is doubly true on rainy and overcast days.

They look good, and as long as you don't blow up the charging system, keep em!
                  This is what I was after, to be seen.....

As for the charging system, your right, I will have to keep an eye on the whole thing, and make sure I am not damaging anything...

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
                  Driving light are nice to have, for sure. I think the only thing I would do is paint them black so they blend into the frame and engine.
                  They are silver unfortunately and have a nice finish on them, so not sure if I want to mess around with that, but now that I have them tucked up a bit higher, they kinda get hidden a bit....

I am still not 100% certain I will keep them, I mounted the other one tonight but have not wired them in yet, so I still cannot see how they actually function, and if they actually are functional.....

Comment

I like this idea, but not a fan of how they mount, I think if you could use a material that makes the mount look like part of the frame.

Comment

The top pictures show the new mounting position, puts them up higher, and closer to the body of the bike, just under the front cowl, the bracket is less noticeable now, and I will sand some of it down and paint it black, this should hide it a bit more, maybe even the housing portion of the lights that are silver, I can do in black, I will use that plastidip paint, as it can be removed if need be....

I will take some close up pictures maybe tonight....

Comment

Working...
                      X