Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you find emblem holes on a painted tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you find emblem holes on a painted tank?

I recently bought a 1979 GS850 that has a really nice pro black paintjob.
    The PO gave me the metal side emblems and I would like to put them back.
    Should I glue them on? Or is there any way of finding the tiny little holes the tiny little screws fit in??
    If I glue them, what kind of glue?
    Thanks

I would use double sided tape. Go to an auto paint store and get the good 3M brand stuff. It really works well.
    1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

I thought of that too..but the emblem has a raised edge so there really wouldn't be much tape contacting the emblem.

Comment

I removed my emblems, cause I like the look.
        You can get vinyl decals that look exactly the same, that's what I would do rather than drilling through a pro paint job.

1979 GS1000

Comment

The emblems are attached by screws to a small plate welded to the tank that is in a small depression. When the emblems are removed it is very clear where they attach. The po probably put body filler over the area the emblem screws to. Depending on how good a job he did, it could be difficult to find the holes. Barring that, you can get double-sided foam tape that is quite strong at Home Depot.
          NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
          Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

You can also build up two or so layers of double-sided tape to fill in the lettering areas. That could look really cool, because you may be able to get the logos really flush and see no tape at all. The double sided tape I use is kinda thick and foamy, so sometimes I will use two layers to get past screw heads and things in other applications.

Comment

I also have mine off because I like the clean look, but if you want them on, you could get some spray foam (available at any hardware store, even Kmart and Wal-mart) fill in the hollow part of the emblems, then use the double sided tape (be careful, the foam expands something like 3 or 4 times in volume when you spray it in and you will need to cut off the excess, a good sharp kitchen knife, or saw, razor knife, etc. will do it).

Comment

Working...
              X