Polishing Stainless Steel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polishing Stainless Steel

I know that Joe Nardy knows how to do it, PM already sent.
    Anyone know what he does/uses off the top of their head?

Eric

Can you get Solvol Autosol over there? I use that on stainless and it gives good results.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
      I know that Joe Nardy knows how to do it, PM already sent.
      Anyone know what he does/uses off the top of their head?

Eric
      Eric,

PM sent. I have never 'polished' stainless but 3M scrubbing pads work great for restoring the original 'brushed' finish. The green and purple (brown?) pads work well. Using WD-40 with the pads helps clean grease and grime. Per Supertrapp you should only scrub around the pipes, not along the length of the pipe. Mother's Aluminum Polish helps even out the coloration even though it isn't supposed to be used on stainless.

Thanks,
      Joe
      IBA# 24077
      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

These pic's don't do it justice. I will have to get some daylight pic's.
        The mid-pipe has a shiny chrome look to it...

Header looks more like copper...

Eric

Comment

Eric,

That pipe has a more polished finish than my Supertrapp. The Supertrapp pipes turn a brownish-copper color near the head and get lighter further down the pipe. The 3M pads will give you more of a brushed finish than what you currently have.

Joe
          IBA# 24077
          '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
          '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
          '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Commercial restaurant stainless steal cleaner works well..you may try easy off in a small spot first..

Comment

I've refinished the stainless trim on cars by wet sanding it and then polishing it..not sure if it's the same, but it looked brand new afterwards.
              1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys!
                I will probably try them all.

Eric

Comment

This will blow your mind-
                  I searched long and hard for SS cleaners/polishers and outside of what was mentioned in wet sanding and polishing was all I could do as well. Then we made the mistake of getting SS appliances. Now these are a nightmare to keep clean and smudge free- I was sitting in the chair when the commercial for Mr.Clean magic eraser came on and I said let me give it a try- let me tell you this- NOTHING is better than these on SS- be in appliances or any other like knives and even guns. It does the finest of a polish while removing the corrosion. Gave the fridge and almost gloss to it. And the price is so right.
                  I have even went a step further and put some MAAS polish to one to do my pipes and was pleasantly surprised as well. Go with the grain- and you will be amazed.

Comment

30 year old pipes-

Comment

Thanks Bad, Another item that I will have to try.
                      These are going on my silver bike so they may as well look nice.

Eric

Comment

Good gravy that's a great looking bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Badooka View Post
                          Good gravy that's a great looking bike!
                          Bad, here is the link to the story on that pile of non-running parts: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...embly+required

Has it been almost a year already?

Eric

Comment

I do stainless on my Eastwood pro buffer machine and it comes out like a mirror. I use the same rouge that I use for the aluminum..and youve all seen that work. The thing is that the chromium makes stainless a lot harder to get the cut and color so you gotta really rouge the he!!! out of it but it will shine like your trying to signal airplanes.
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Well...
                              I tried steel wool with penetrating oil and no real improvement.
                              I tried rubbing compound and a hi-speed polishing wheel. It got shinier but still ugly.
                              Finally, I just tried a fine wire wheel in an inconspicuous location and success!
                              It is still going to take an eternity but I can live with satin finish on the head pipes.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                              X